✰ 17 ✰

𝓜𝓮𝓼𝓼𝓪𝓰𝓮𝓼

"Hey Brooke, it's Scott. Which you already know. If you get this please call me back. I'm so, so sorry. I'm the most sorry I've ever been in my life. And I know that doesn't make up for it and I know how much what I said hurt you but Brooke, I love you. I really don't want to do this over voicemail so please call me or text me so we can meet up. I need to make everything right."

Brooklyn sighed as the voicemail finished. She had five more where that came from and a bunch of texts and missed calls. She'd be lying if she said she didn't want to call him because she did. She so badly did. But she had other, more important things to deal with right now than her relationship.

Turning off her phone, she walked back into the examining room of the animal clinic from the reception area and peered down at the six black and white aerial photographs on the silver table. They were of Fort Jewett where Deaton and the Desert Wolf were. Where they planned to attack. Malia glanced up from the pictures and looked at Braeden who was loading bullets into her shotgun. "What's the problem?" the werecoyote asked.

"Besides the fact that I've never seen this place beyond a few aerial photos and were basically going in blind?" Braeden aimed her gun at Theo, "Him."

"Would you mind not pointing that thing at me?" the boy asked innocently.

"Yeah, no one likes him." Brooke shrugged.

"He's coming with us." Malia stated.

"He tried to kill Scott." Braeden replied.

Theo glanced up with a small, smug bring on his face, "Technically, I did kill Scott." Brooklyn clenched her fists to restrain herself from doing something stupid.

"I should kill you." Braeden fired back.

"Won't happen with a shotgun." Theo affirmed.

"Stop. Both of you." Malia ordered making the mercenary lower her gun.

"Plus, Braeden, if I could kill him I would've done a long, long time ago. But, unfortunately, he is the slightest bit helpful so, unfortunately, we need him." the healer put in. Malia glowered at her.

Theo ignored the Hale's comment and said, "I did what I had to do to survive. The Dread Doctors wanted everybody dead. I convinced them that it could just be Scott."

The mercenary turned to the two cousins. "You could still tell Scott." she told them.

"When we have Deaton back." Malia assured.

"He's not going to blame you for the Desert Wolf taking him." Braeden predicted.

"But he might stop me from killing her." the Tate girl articulated. "Theo won't."

"Actually, I'm planning to help." the boy interjected, moving away from the counter he leant against to come closer to the three girls.

Braeden rose an eyebrow at the werecoyote. "Don't be so confident. She's know to carry pretty heavy firepower."

"But, what would a werecoyote need with guns?" Theo asked.

"There's a story." the mercenary began, "I don't know all the details, but something happened a long time ago. Somehow, she lost part of her power. She's not as fast or as strong as she used to be. But she can still pull a trigger, and she's a perfect shot."

The last part was obviously meant to scare Malia but the girl was unfazed. She shrugged, "So is Brooke." The healer looked over at her cousin confusedly. What? She wasn't a perfect shot. She was good, at most. Brooklyn opened her mouth to protest but before she could Malia spoke again. "Have you ever missed a shot?" she questioned.