37

Pisces

"Did you hear? The power couple are done!"

"Aries and Sagittarius broke up!"

"Do you think that I should ask Sagittarius out now that he's single?"

"Would you have ever thought?"

Walking into school the day after Aquarius' meltdown was a surprising experience, to say the least. Firstly, nobody seemed to be discussing what had gone down at the populars' table, and secondly, word had it that the 'it couple' of Varsity High had just called it quits. This was later confirmed when Aries walked in, looking like an absolute mess. She hadn't bothered to do her hair, wipe off the makeup streaked across her face, or even wear proper shoes. She wore slippers with an old tracksuit, the hood pulled over her head. Sagittarius, however, seemed unfazed. As usual, he walked in with Libra, who wore a pastel pink dress with matching pink stilettos that were, as usual, staggeringly massive. 

He was smiling and laughing, greeting everyone he saw cheerily, as if nothing at all had changed. The funniest encounter of the morning was when he threw back Scorpio's hood and gave him a massive hug, much to the blue-eyed boy's chagrin. "Scorpio, you know I love you, right man?" Sagittarius exclaimed, clapping him heartily on the back. "Yeah, yeah," he muttered. Libra laughed, smiling at Scorpio. He stood there, transfixed, wondering if perhaps today was the day Libra would be open to at least becoming friends again. "Hi, Leebs." Scorpio smiled at Libra. She blushed slightly, waving at him before he walked away, his cheeks a bright red.

Sagittarius elbowed his best friend giddily, looking like a kid who'd just gotten an ice cream sundae from Baskin Robbins. "Libra," he whispered not-so-quietly, "I think he likes you!" Libra shook her head, ruffling Sagittarius' hair. I turned toward Taurus, who was doubling over with laughter. "Whoa, whoa, calm down, would you?" I laughed, putting an arm around my girlfriend's shoulders. "Okay, okay, I'm done," she wheezed before continuing to giggle. "Okay, you wanna go to class?" I asked Taurus. "Alright, let's go." I began to steer her in the right direction, which proved to difficult when she wouldn't stop giggling. 

We all took our seats, Libra and Sagittarius right behind us. Mr. Jones turned toward the whiteboard, his back facing the class. "YEET!" Sagittarius screamed, aiming a rubber band at Mr. Jones' back. It hit him square in the small of his back. Sagittarius collapsed in a fit of giggles, as did Libra and Taurus. I rolled my eyes, attempting to contain my laughter when Mr. Jones grabbed his back and began to howl in pain. The whole class burst out laughing, Sagittarius now standing on top of a desk. Everyone, that was, but Aries, who simply glared at Sagittarius. 

"SAGITTARIUS, I SWEAR, YOU HAVE CROSSED THE LINE THIS TIME-" Sagittarius laughed, crossing his arm. "Well, Mr. Jones, you can't do anything about it, can you? The teachers hate you, the principal is this close to firing you because of the smart marker incident-" A week ago, Taurus, Sagittarius, Libra, Aries and I had (once again) made Mr. Jones ruin the projector boards by switching out his smart markers for regular markers. Now, he couldn't do so much as issue a detention slip and get it signed off by the principal. "So you might as well go get some ice from the staff room-oh, that's right, you're not allowed to go there anymore!" 

The class erupted in a fresh fit of laughter. Mr Jones began to tremble in anger, his fists balled. Meanwhile Taurus and Libra had begun to chant. "SAGITTARIUS! SAGITTARIUS!" The whole class soon joined in, myself included. Sagittarius nodded his head along to the beat. Aries soon stood, leaving the room. I noticed Cancer catching her eye, following her out as well. What was going on between them? Soon enough, the whole period had passed, whiled away in celebrations of Sagittarius' master prank. Even though he had lost his girlfriend, Sagittarius was still a winner. 

We each went our separate ways, Taurus and I walking over to Scorpio in the cafeteria. He seemed in a better mood than usual, chatting away with Libra by the salad bar. "...I couldn't believe it ended like that, I'm still waiting for a Season 2... oh, hi guys!" Libra smiled at us, as did Scorpio. "Sagittarius' prank in class was awesome, am I right?" Taurus nodded, giggling. Scorpio turned toward Libra, his hand outstretched. "So... friends?" Libra nodded, smiling. "I think we can do better than a handshake," she commented, pulling Scorpio into a hug. The boy turned beet red. "How about we all sit together?" Scorpio nodded. "That's a good idea, yeah." We found a large table, Libra dragging Sagittarius away from a bunch of girls in Mr. Jones' science class. 

The table was soon full, nine of us laughing and exchanging stories. Capricorn was interrogating Leo, trying to figure out how exactly Leo had managed to the best grades in PDHPE. "...I'm telling you, it's all in the slideshows..." Libra and Sagittarius were laughing about something with Gemini, who seemed a but more subdued than usual, probably because of what had gone down with Aquarius. The blonde had not come to school today, probably taking a day off to collect herself. Scorpio was engaged in a conversation with Virgo, the two of them comparing notes on their previous English class. Ever since his accident, Scorpio had been taking his education very seriously, wanting to end sophomore year with good grades.

Taurus and I were listening in on Capricorn and Leo's conversation, their discussion having finally moved away from PDHPE. "Have you seen Schitt's Creek?" Leo asked Capricorn. "No, I haven't... is it good?" 

"Oh, yes!" I interjected. Schitt's Creek was, by far, my favourite TV show. It was funny, heartwarming, inclusive and extremely adorable... what was there not to love about it? "You have got to watch it, Capricorn! It's the best thing ever!" Taurus added. Ever since we'd started dating, Schitt's Creek had become our show. We would often stay in binge-watch the show, enjoying each other's company and, of course, the going-ons before us on the screen. It was amazing, really, to have that one person who, whilst being your girlfriend, could be so much more: your TV buddy, your shoulder to cry on and, of course, your best friend.

When I had first met Taurus, I had thought she was just an insufferably stubborn girl who seemed to have massive issues understanding math. But now that I'd gotten to know her, I knew she was so, so much more than that. Taurus was, in simple words, my always.