44

Scorpio

"AND..... AVI SCORES THE WINNING GOAL!" Avyaan leaped into the air as the ball soared into the goal. I sighed, grabbing the ball from the back of the net when Avi jumped onto my back, his loud, high-pitched voice echoing throughout the grounds of the Cole mansion. Libra walked over, laughing. "Oh dear, Scorpy. Not much of a goalkeeper, are you?" I glared at Libra venomously, only prompting more laughter. "Call me Scorpy one more time and-"

"What, you'll break my bones?" She lifted her wrist matter-of-factly. "Been there, done that. Can't say it's pleasant." Avi jumped off my back, admiring his sister's cast. One day, I thought, I would tell Avyaan how his sister had gotten that cast. I would teach him to respect the women in his life. To value them and regard them as equals. To never use violence in any situation. I would make Avi the man I never could be. I owed this kid, this family, this place that much. I had been happier in the past month that I had been staying at the Cole mansion than I had been in the past two years put together.

The only moments of happiness I had found before the Cole family took me in were those fleeting moments of peace with Libra, the golden minutes of silence and comfort, soon to be gone, arguments and problems replacing those moments. "Scorpio, come on! I came out here to get you so we can look at tuxedos."

My eyes widened. "Why are we looking at tuxedos?" I asked, an image of Libra standing at an altar flashing through my mind. "For the Cole Entertainment Original show US premiere tonight. It's for that new series, Regals. Remember? It's the one we watched last week when Dad was asking for our opinions." I nodded, shrugging Avyaan off my back.

"I also need an opinion on my dress. Hurry!" Libra took Avi by the hand, ushering her little brother inside. I followed the two, lingering behind as Libra told Avi to go sit with Venus, who was flipping through a magazine in the house's spacious downstairs lounge room. The room was closed off to the adjacent kitchen, a kind of tranquil part of the house only accessible through the gardens. When I asked Venus why they hadn't fixed the design flaw, she'd laughed, saying the house, having been designed by herself and her husband, boasted 'unnecessary rich extravagances'.

(Separated room-design by me!)

"Come on, Scorpio!" Libra exclaimed, dragging me upstairs into her bedroom. The room was, as always, an extravagant mess, much like Libra herself. Clothes littered the floor, the bed, the tables. When it was in a pristine state, Leebs' bedroom was a gorgeous, spacious area, with a massive walk-in closet adjacent to it.