B2 2

(ABOVE: Anastasia, Leo's Spanish girlfriend)

Scorpio

"You're not gonna leave any of that ravioli for me?" Libra asked, laughing. I rolled my eyes at her in a playful manner and continued to eat the delicious pasta, wondering how someone like me had gotten lucky enough to end up with someone like Libra. No matter what the rest of the world had to say about her, she was perfect in my eyes-glamorous, courageous, charismatic and never one to pass up a good fight. Everything was perfect-my girlfriend, my new home, my new life. The fact that I never again would have to worry about my father was a constant relief. My new life was as great as it could be, save for one person: Leo. 

Insufferable, shady, arrogant Leo. The creep had been following Libra and I around, sulking and staring at her. Who knew what Leo was trying to do? I already suspected that he was trying to take some photos, or worse, stalk Libra...

Not that that would be surprising, because Leo WAS a sociopath. 

"Earth to Scorpio?" I looked up from my pasta, realising I'd been sitting in absolute silence for the past 10 minutes. "You good?" Libra asked, looking concerned. "I'm fine. Just... worried."

"Talk to me. What's on your mind?"

'Nothing. Everything."

"So... Leo?"

"How did you know?"

"Whenever you're angry, your right eye twitches, and, well, it was going insane a few moments ago. And I know just how angry Leo makes you, so I figured you were thinking of him." 

"Right on, Detective."

"Don't play with me. What's running through your head?"

"I'm just worried he's gonna jeopardise what we have, Leebs. You know him-he doesn't give up..." 

"Judging from the looks of this Anastasia girl over the summer, I think he'll leave us alone."

"Who's Anastasia?"

"This gorgeous girl Leo met in Spain. The two supposedly went out while Leo was in Spain on break. She followed me on Instagram and all her posts over the summer were of her and Leo." 

"Right. You really think he's into her?"

"Even if they're over, even if he doesn't care about her anymore, he's not getting in the way of our relationship, you got that?"

"I just-"

"No. Leo is never gonna get in my way again, and I'll make sure of it. Now, what do you want for dessert? The gelato special sounds good..."

I leaned over the table, kissing Libra on the cheek. She smiled, raising an eyebrow. "What was that for?"

"Nothing. I just love you."

"Love you too, Scorpy."

"What did we say about that nickname?"

"That it's adorable and you find it endearing?"

"What am I going to do with you?"

"I'm not sure, you decide."

"Honestly-"

"Also what gelato are you getting?"

"Choc mint."

"I'll get that too."

"Copycat."

"Scorpy."

The waitress arrived, looking incredibly amused. "So is that a chocolate mint gelato for you to share?"

Libra snorted, as did I, before I looked over at her, eyebrow raised. She shrugged, and I nodded at the waitress. "Sure."

.....

"Mom, we're home!" Libra announced, putting her boots into their designated box. Even though Libra's room was a spectacular mess and her clothes were thrown around like confetti, she had a thing for keeping her shoes ordered.  

"How was the restaurant?" Mrs Cole asked, a cup of steaming tea in her hands.

"It was great, Mrs. Co-"

"Please, Scorpio, call me Venus. I've asked you one too many times."

"Well, it was great, Venus."

Mr Cole made his way toward his wife, putting an arm around her as he turned to stare me down. 

"Had fun, did you?" he asked, eyeballing me dangerously.

"Yeah, we had a good ti-"

"They had a good time! A great time! What fun! Now they can wait before they go out alone again, can't they, Scorpio?" 

"Um-"

"Stop threatening Scorpio, Dad. He follows all your incredibly strict rules, he's respectful and he even puts in unpaid work for you."

"That unpaid is, quite literally, sitting there and watching new series before I approve them."

"Whatever. Stop being such a jerk to him!"

I'd only lived in the Cole household for about 2 months, but I had come to learn that Libra and Mr Cole loved to argue with each other. In the Cole household, everything turned into a fight-in the most amusing way possible.

"Fine, he's okay. Better than that capricious Leo boy..."

Libra's expression darkened at the mention of Leo's name as she balled her fists instinctively. "Don't compare Scorpio to that-that-"

"See, Venus? This is what I mean. She tenses at the mention of the boy's name. She needs some help, some closure-"

"I DON'T NEED HELP!"

This had been one of the more serious arguments. Mr Cole felt Libra needed some help after her experience with Leo in sophomore year, while Libra felt that there was no need for it. Libra, who had never been scared to ask for help, was now rejecting it. I supposed she just had to project an image of indifference toward Leo so that he couldn't get under her skin again. 

"How about we go upstairs and do some homework?" I asked Libra, steering her toward the staircase. "You know how much work there is, we better get started..."

"Not tonight, Scorpio," Libra replied. "I just need to sleep, or read, or whatever."

"If you need anything-"

"It's okay. Seriously." Libra smiled, giving me a kiss. "Love you."

"Love you too," I replied, smiling, before heading into my own room and falling asleep as soon as I touched my bed.

It had been a long day.