B2 3

Virgo

"Yo, I can chuck this ball all the way over there, man!"

"For real?"

"Yeah, bro, wanna see?"

"Alright man, here-"

A football hit the back of my head with the force of a missile, knocking me clean off my feet. Struggling to get back up, I raised my voice. "I swear too God, I'm going to kill you idiots-"

"Sorry, Virgo, my friends love to mess around." A hand appeared in front of me. I looked up to see Leo grinning at me. I took his hand and he pulled me up without even breaking a sweat. "Well, your friends are douche bags, and you're one too."

Leo frowned. "What did I ever do to you, sweetheart?"

I hit Leo square in the chest with my hand, huffing as I turned away. "For real, girl, you're just messin' with me!"

"What a pig," I mumbled, putting as much distance as I could between myself and those obnoxious boys. Taking out my phone, I shot my boyfriend, Lewis a text: are we still going out for dinner tomorrow night? That was when I received an email from the school's college admissions board. 

Dear Virgo Yeon,

We have noticed your outstanding GPA and would like to invite you to join the Tutors program here at Varsity High. This program qualifies you for extra credit and an additional extracurricular to place on your college application. Please come to the College Admissions office at lunch tomorrow if you wish to participate. I will assign you a student in your year (Junior Year) and the two of you can get acquainted. 

With kind regards,

Mr. Valdez, Head of Varsity High College Admissions Board

I gasped happily, thrilled at the prospect of some extra credit. Ringing up to the apartment, I replied almost immediately to Mr. Valdez's email.

Hi Mr. Valdez,

I would be thrilled to join the Tutors program and I will see you at lunch tomorrow. Thank you!

Virgo Yeon

"Mom, Dad, I'm home!' I called. 

"How was your day?" Dad asked, sitting in front of the TV.

"Great! I got invited to the Tutors program for extra credit!"

"That's my girl. Do you have any homework?"

"Yeah, I'm gonna go do it after I take a shower."

My dad nodded, turning back to his show. 

I hopped into the bathroom, my thoughts running loose about what kind of student I might be assigned...

.....

"Welcome, Miss Yeon. I'm glad you chose to accept our invitation. The Tutors program here at Varsity High is incredibly prestigious and we're glad to welcome you aboard by assigning you your first student. You can come in now!"

My expression went from delight to disgust as I watched Leo walk in, grinning. "Mr. Valdez, are you confident that this is the student I have to tutor?"

"Yes. Leo's grades are slipping, particularly in Biology. Now, I know that you have achieved perfect results in Biology since freshman year, which is why I assigned you to Leo over here. There isn't a problem here, is there?"

I shook my head, plastering a fake smile across my face. "No problems at all."

"Terrific. Your first session is at 6 tonight."