B2 14

Cancer

It had been 7 days and Aquarius hadn't called me back.

It wasn't like her to stand me up-she had, after all, been the one who wanted to be with me in the beginning. She'd made herself scarce at school as well, never to be seen in the hallways since her fainting spell. 

Which was why it was weird to see her hanging around Libra again, and why it was even weirder that she was with Drew. She'd promised me she'd end it. She'd told me she was into me and Drew was just a fling. So what was she doing around him? She wasn't even dressed in her regular all-black attire. Instead, she wore a white tee and light blue joggers, paired with... glasses. 

"-really happy for you too, Drew, I'm so happy you've found-"

"Found love?" I cried, making my way over to where Aquarius stood. I turned toward Aquarius, eyes narrowed. "You told me you'd call. You promised  me you'd stop hanging out with this loser. You've been dodging me for a whole week! And it's not that you're ignoring me. It's the fact that you wanted to be with me, Aquarius. You told me that you'd been into me for ages and that I should break up with Gemini, because you were interested. That was weird in itself, but this? This... lying and sneaking around? This is just plain messed up, you psychotic bi-"

"Calm down." Drew interjected. "The reason Taurus was so happy for me was because I came out. I'm gay. I'm not trying to steal your girl."

Drew? Gay? I collected my thoughts, taking a step back and wondering what to say next. Even though I'd meant every word of what I'd said about Aquarius, but I was wrong about Drew. The typical image of a high school jerk, of an idiotic kicker, that he'd come up with came crumbling down, the realisation settling that this boy wasn't the norm for all Varsity High footballers, but rather the one who had tried to hide himself by becoming the norm. 

Now that I compare the two, I could see how well Leo's personality lined up with Drew's. They were both cocky, arrogant, violent and inherent misogynists, using girls for a bit of fun. They were the kinds of boys every girl's parents were weary of. The boys whose whole personality revolved around football, parties and beer pong. The guys who got girls pregnant. 

Drew was still cocky and a jerk, but as it turned out, all the misogyny had been a cover-up. The remarks about girls 'getting hot over break', that horrible ranking system he'd come up with alongside Leo... that was Drew's fake persona speaking. The real Drew had only just come forward, and in spite of myself, I couldn't wait to get to know him.

"A-and, Cancer, since you're here, you should probably know that... I'm pregnant."

So my synopsis of Drew's original character wasn't all wrong.

"Drew's kid?" I asked, not wanting to make any outright statements.

"Yeah. I'm keeping it."

I nodded, smiling. "Good for you, Aquarius. Drew."

And with that, I turned on my heel and walked away, mortified.

.....

"...please make sure you do your homework by tomorrow, I will be checking it. Okay, you're all free to go."

We all piled out of math, Leo catching up to me. "What is it?" I asked. I wasn't in the mood. Not after this morning. 

"Just invitin' you to the party tonight. It's at Raj's house."

"Thought that was footballers and cheerleaders only."

"Let's just say that a place has opened up." Leo shot Drew a dirty look, who just ducked his head.

"Hey, that's not cool," I replied. "I don't want any part in your dumb jock party crap if it's a means to hurt Drew. He's done nothing wrong."

Leo blinked twice before grinning. "Oh, no, dude, we're not hatin' on Drew. A hundred percent supportive. He's just... not available."

Drew's shoulder drooped even lower, if that was even possible.

"I'm not available either, Leo. Maybe go invite a fellow jerk. I'm sure you'll all get along really well."

Leo rolled his eyes, walking away. "If you come to your senses, the invite stands."

I scoffed, walking toward Drew. "Hey, man, I'm really sorry about everything I said-"

"You've redeemed yourself," Drew replied immediately, grinning. "I've never seen anyone stick it to Leo like that. I mean, Libra came close, but..."

I grinned, glad that Drew felt like he had me. "Well, I'll always be here to clown anyone else who treats you that way. It's a sick world, man, so being yourself isn't easy. People are always gonna try to tear you down, but I want you to know that people like myself-people like Aquarius-we're always going to be there to build you back up."

Drew grinned, turning to look at me carefully. "You really like Aquarius, don't you?" I flushed, wondering how this boy had figured it out.

"Even if I do, I think I've just ensured that the feeling isn't mutual."

"Look, dude, I'll give you some advice, even though I'm not the best person to give it. Just be there for her, and she'll notice."

I smiled, patting Drew on the back. "That was great advice for a guy who's 'not the best' at it."

Drew laughed, waving me goodbye and leaving me to think about what I wanted.

I liked Aquarius, and I knew that.

And maybe, just maybe, at this very dark period of her life, she'd need a friend to support her...

A plan began to formulate in my head as I rushed out of school hoping I'd make it to the florist before closing hours.

.....

"Hi-Cancer! How are you?" Andromeda asked, letting me in. "I'm great, thanks," I replied, my flowers, behind my back, when Aquarius came out of her room in a blue robe and matching slippers. Her eyes narrowed when she saw me, arms folded angrily. "What are you doing here? Come to grill me some more?"

"No, actually. I came to give you these."

I pulled out the flowers, gorgeous baby blue orchids I knew Aquarius would love. In spite of herself, she smiled at me, accepting the flowers. "I'm sorry about how I acted earlier today. I want to be there for you, Aquarius, and I know you can't forgive me right away, but I hope these are a start."

Aquarius grinned, kissing me on the cheek. "They're definitely a start."

And with that, she walked away, leaving me to hold my cheek in astonishment. 

Maybe, just maybe, we'll be alright.

SUBMIT OCS TO THE 70K SPECIAL APPLYFIC PLEASE!