13

Sagittarius

"Honey-OH MY GOD!"

I pulled away from Aries as fast as I possibly could, breaking a kiss I wished could have lasted forever. Aries scampered off the couch, helping Venus pick up all the popcorn on the ground. What a waste of perfectly good food. I jumped off the couch myself, scooping up handfuls of popcorn and popping some in my mouth while Venus wasn't looking (she was a huge germaphobe.) 

"Well, I'm sorry for interrupting, I wasn't expecting, well, that, I'm so sorry again, just thought you might like some popcorn..." Venus was babbling. "No, we're sorry, Venus. We shouldn't have been... um...." Venus chuckled. "Kissing?" Aries blushed furiously. She looked so cute when she blushed like that. "Well, I'm very happy! I know Libra has shipped you two for so long, and honestly, so have I!" 

My favourite thing about Venus as how modern she was. Being a designer and a big part of Western pop culture, she knew all the latest trends, words and all. She even dressed up as a Karen for Halloween. And, of course, she had also taken to meet the Brooklyn 99 cast at the studio for my 16th birthday.

"Hey, what's going on?" Libra was coming down the stairs, her wild, tangled hair frizzing up around her face. She took one look at Aries' face before breaking into a grin. "I know that look-you two kissed, didn't you?" She let out a loud squeal, rushing over to crush us both in a hug. "OH, I'm so happy! It's finally happened! I'm gonna be the Maid of Honor at your wedding, your baby's godmother,  your house sitter while yoou're off on vacation..." She pulled us in closer, her frizzy hair brushing my chin. "My ship finally sailed! You two are my OTP!" 

Venus smiled at Leebs. "Not you and Scorpio?" Even though Scorpio would have been the definition of an unacceptable boyfriend in any parents' eyes, Venus seemed to think he was perfect in every way. She was impressed by the way he'd taken it on himself to support hiself and his little sister after his mother left. He had, after all, saved Libra by making her jump-she would've been shot if he hadn't sacrificed himself instead. Libra laughed airily. "They are my best friends, Mom. I've shipped them since I was in middle school!"

Libra stifled a yawn, earning herself a stern look from Venus. "Go to sleep, Libra."

"But Mom-"

"No buts-I want you to pay attention at school, and you can't do that if you're tired."

Libra groaned, walking back up the staircase. Once Venus heard the door slam, she let out a sigh. "I had a feeling she was making things awkward." I nodded and Aries let out a relieved laugh. I put an arm around her, smiling as she turned in toward my chest. "I can hear you, you know!" Libra's voice carried from upstairs. Venus rolled her eyes. "Well, I'm off. Feel free to stay-Aries, your room is prepped already." Venus turned to me. 

"I don't want you out in the cold, Sagittarius-just take a guest bedroom, okay?" I smiled, nodding. "Well, don't stay up too late-you have school tomorrow morning." She laughed. "Not like you'll be able to pay any attention." With that, Venus disappeared up the staircase. Aries looked up at me, her blue-green eyes sparkling like emeralds. "Where do we go from here?" She took my hands in hers, still smiling hopefully. 

I found myself staring into those eyes, those beautiful eyes that held so much passion and loyalty behind them, losing myself in the possibility of a future with Aries...

.....

"What do you mean, you're going out with the guys? You promised you'd take me out to dinner tonight!" Aries had been whining like this for so long. "I'm sorry, I promised the guys-" She grabbed my forearm. "You're always going off with the guys. Do they come before your own girlfriend?" I sighed. "Okay, I'll bring the car over." She smiled. "I'll go get changed, then." She leant up, planting a kiss on my lips. I found myself melting at the familiar embrace, enjoying myself with her for the moment. 

...

"What do you mean, you're going to the UK?" I sighed, looking at my girlfriend's tear-stained face. "Look, Libra and I.. we've wanted to go to Oxford since we were kids. It's my dream. I'm sorry, but... I'm going." Aries let out a loud sob. "What, because you promised her?" I frowned. "It's my dream, Aries." She straightened up. "It's okay. We-we can make it work." I sighed yet again. "Look, we can't be to-" She stopped me with a kiss. Those kisses of hers, they drove me mad. Everything I'd practiced was gone, just like that. 

...

"Look, we've been working for a few years now-we have enough savings to buy a house and move in together. Don't you want that, babe?" I growled in frustration. "I don't. I want to live with the guys on rent like I am right now." She frowned. "We've been together since sophomore year. Since we were seventeen, Sarge. We're 27 now. That's ten years!" I sighed. "I know.." Aries began to pace. "Look, we're so close. Nothing broke us-not even living in different countries." She stopped. "We should get married, Sarge."

...

"You may kiss the bride." I found myself melting yet again, the dread of making a promise to last a lifetime gone for just a while. We broke apart, and the reality of the situation began to hit me. Marriage meant living together. It meant putting plans on hold to be together. It meant never-ending commitment. And I'd just committed. If only I had walked away back when we had our first kiss....

.....

I stumbled back, horrified. If I could imagine all that... the reality of a relationship like this one would be a thousand times worse. "Sarge?" I saw those eyes again, all the nightmares flashing before me. "Are you okay?" She let out a nervous chuckle. "You've been staring at me for quite a while..." If only I had walked away.... 

I let go of Aries' hands, sprinting up the stairs to the guest bedroom and locking the door behind me before jamming it with the chair. 

And then I slumped against the wall and did something I hadn't done in a long time-I cried.