B2 9

(ABOVE: Blaise the kitten.)

Capricorn

"Come on, he's not that bad..."

Virgo held out the monstrous-looking cat again, smiling sweetly. She had once again taken me to the local animal shelter with my very reluctant consent, and was now obsessing over a cat, of all things. Dogs were precious and a gift to mankind, but in my eyes, cats were the most disgusting creatures to exist-selfish, lazy and, to put it quite plainly, grouches of the highest order. Virgo held a kitten with glossy black fur and vivacious turquoise eyes. It purred gently as Virgo rocked it in her arms, playfully bumping its nose with her own. 

"I'm glad to see that you love him so much," a woman dressed in blue overalls remarked, grinning. "Do you have a name for him?"

"He looks like a Blaise to me," Virgo replied, never taking her eyes off the cat. The woman smiled, clearly touched by Virgo's love for this kitten. "Well, sweetheart, why don't you take him home? I'm sure Blaise would love to go with you..."

Virgo's eyes widened, beginning to somewhat sparkle. There was something about those eyes of hers - those weirdly enchanting eyes of hers - that transfixed me. Maybe it was the way they seemed to catch the sun or their warmth. Maybe it was her long, spidery lashes, mingling with the golden afternoon light. 

Snap out of it. You have a girlfriend. 

I loved Irene. I really did. She was gorgeous, intelligent, fair... 

But for some reason, ever since I'd returned, I hadn't been able to stop thinking about Virgo.

She clearly did not reciprocate the obsession, madly in love with her boyfriend. Every moment she wasn't spending with that idiot Leo or myself, she was with him. The way she spoke of him, the glint of affection in her eyes and the flush of her cheeks - she had all but given herself, heart and soul, to this boy she'd met on vacation.

And here I sat, paying no mind to the fact that I too had a significant other.

"-he'll feel right at home with you, just don't forget to take good care of him..."

Virgo, holding that infuriatingly adorable kitten in her arms, beckoned toward me as she thanked the staff member. "Come on, I'm going to be late for my date."

Somehow, hearing those words come out of her mouth just made my obsession grow. "I will take the... animal home for you."

"Thank you!" Virgo exclaimed, plating a kiss on my cheek as she handed me the cat. My cheek burnt as if it had been scorched, and the rest of my face soon caught fire as well. "Okay, you had better get going..." I stuttered, turning and walking away toward my car. She smiled, pulling out her phone to message him. She rarely messaged me anymore. She only message him. Always calling him. 

I was undeniably jealous.

And as much I despised myself for it, I made sure I looked back at the boy who was taking her from me. And I made sure he saw my glare from 10 metres away.

.....

"You should've seen your face, Sco-"

"It's not like you won!"

"Fine, then. Whoever loses owes Pisces 50 bucks."

Taurus, Pisces, Scorpio, Libra and I were at the bowling alley, Scorpio and Libra looking ready to tear each other's heads off while I wondered why I had agreed to join them for a 'friendly' game. Pisces was simply laughing at the two while Taurus munched on some onion rings, oblivious to the world around her. "Will it ever stop?" I asked Pisces who simply laughed even harder, shaking his head. 

"It never stops, man," he replied just as Libra yelled, "Oh, it's ON!"

She handed a staff member some cash, asking him to load another game. I groaned internally, realising she'd just paid for the lot of us, while Taurus slumped back in her seat. "But Leebs, we were gonna go get dinner-"

"Add a jumbo hot dog meal to that, thanks. You know, the one we get once we're on our third game." Libra smiled sweetly at Taurus, patting her on the shoulder, before turning to Scorpio, her expression being one of pure murderous rage.

He returned the glare, furiously keying in everyone's names. "You act like someone other than Capricorn will win this time," Pisces remarked, taking a sip of his Sprite. I shook my head humbly, wondering how a night of what ws supposed to be 'fun' had turned into a cutthroat war between Scorpio and Libra for bowling victory. 

"Okay, Libra, you're first," he called, staring down his girlfriend as she stepped forward, taking her position. She stood assuredly and in the correct position, which was surprising considering how violently she was fuming. She released the bowling ball, sending it thundering down the middle of the lane. The ball, still rolling at full speed, hit the middle pin, knocking all ten bowling pins down. "HA!" Libra yelled, jumping into the air. "Take that!"

Scorpio simply shook his head, taking his stance - completely unstable - before hurling the ball down the lane...

And straight into the gutter.

Pisces burst out laughing, as did Libra. Taurus surprisingly put down her hot dog to join in, the trio making a mockery out an abashed looking Scorpio. "Mr. Bigshot, eh?" Taurus commented, doubling over.

"I'm Scorpio. I brood heaps and can't bowl." Libra teased. 

"And I just lost $50 to my best friend!" Pisces contributed, looking incredibly amused. 

Libra raised an eyebrow at me, inviting me to join in on the joke. I rolled my eyes, standing up. "Where's Scorpio going to get the money to pay you, Pisces?" I asked. The whole group looked confused - just as I expected. They all had fluff for brains, after all. "He's losing so much money over losing all these bets. Guess that's what happens when you're too confident for your own good."

The whole group burst out laughing - even Scorpio. "Okay, that's enough. Let's go to dinner," Scorpio decided, turning up his nose. 

"Actually, I'm not that hungry anymore," Taurus commented.

Everyone's eyes widened, mine included, as we turned to look at Taurus, bewildered. 

"WHAT?"

"It was a big meal..." she stuttered. 

Moments of silence were followed by bountiful laughter. It seemed that nothing was impossible-I was here, 'hanging out' with Libra and her friends, and Taurus was full. 

Maybe, just maybe, impossible things were meant to happen.

Maybe Virgo and I were meant to be.

"Hey, guys, I'll be back in a minute," I said, leaving the alley to head to the reception.

I dialled her number, taking a deep breath. 

"Hello?"

"We need to talk."