43

Gemini

Sometimes, I found myself falling uncontrollably.

Just spiraling into a void of unknowing, of uncertainty, of fear of the unknown. 

The day Cancer had passed away, that void had only deepened and I drew closer to it, feeling like I didn't even know me well enough. Who was I, if not a shadow of the world around me? Was I even somebody out of the school walls, or was I just a blank canvas, woefully devoid of any colour? I knew it wasn't like me to be so up in my feelings, but when things were so strange, I just couldn't help thinking and thinking and worrying until I felt sick all the way down to my core. 

"Gemini? Hey, you feeling okay?" I blinked rapidly, snapping back into reality. Cancer stood in front of me, frowning as if he'd just found out I was an alien or something. "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine... Just thinking..." He laughed, those impeccably straight white teeth glistening in the fluorescent white lights of the restaurant of the restaurant. "I hope you're not thinking about how horribly this date is going."

I laughed, shaking my head. "No, Cancer, this is all so great. It's just I've been a bit caught up in my feelings lately, but, you know, that's a me thing, and this is about us, so..." 

"Well, if something's bothering you, let's talk about it. I'm a great listener. Seriously."

"The thing is, lately, I've just been so shaken up. I think that, you know, everything that's happened has really made me question who I am." 

"Look, I know I'm not you, but from my side of the table, I look at you and see someone who is brave and strong and thoughtful. And, honestly, that's what I like about you. Your thoughtfulness, I mean."

"Thanks, Cancer. That's a real nice thing to say."

"It's alright. Now, do you wanna maybe dig into the pasta before it goes cold?"

I laughed, nodding as I took some gnocchi into my plate, my thoughts momentarily silenced. 

.....

"Morning, sleepyhead," came a voice. I opened my eyes, gasping as pain flooded my back. "What-OH MY GOD, CANCER!" 

We were lying on the concrete flooring of a footbridge, our sweaters and jeans not offering nearly enough warmth to combat the February chill. "How-what-" Cancer pressed a finger to my lips. "So we might have gotten a little... drunk..." I frowned, looking Cancer up and down. "I'm sorry, what?" He shrugged, smirking. "Oh, go away!" He rolled his eyes, helping me up. "C'mon, we better get home before anyone notices." I frowned. "What's the time?"

"Oh, it's 5 in the morning."

"WHAT!"

"I know, I know. C'mon, now!"

"Okay, fine!" 

We hurried toward Cancer's car, quickly driving away. We arrived by my place in a matter of moments, since I lived right in the middle of town. "See you," I said, smiling, when Cancer leaned over and kissed me. He kissed me like it was nothing at all. Like it was just standard or something. I blinked rapidly as he pulled away, a smirk on his face. "See you, Gem." I dashed up toward the apartment, sneaking in as quietly as possible. If Mom woke up, I would be toast-I was lucky Dad had to leave so early every morning. Just as I closed my eyes, I felt my Mom shaking me awake. "Up, Gemini! It's 7:30!" I groaned, pulling myself out of bed and walking over to my closet....

When I realised I had my clothes from last night on.

"Well, someone was too exhausted to get changed, huh?" Mom commented before leaving the room. I groaned, grabbing a towel and quickly showering, just to get all the grease and grime that came from sleeping on a footbridge off me. I changed into a cropped white shirt paired with classic denim jeans, topped off with a canary yellow windbreaker.