Zodiacs at Hogwarts: Part Four

GEMINI ROOKWOOD

"Watch this. Wingardium Leviosa!"

I watched, smiling to myself as Libra levitated the pieces of my broken watch, flicking her wand slightly to bring them all together. 

"Reparo!"

The watch began to tick again, falling into Libra's outstretched hand. "And that is how it's done." As she turned to hand it to me, I pulled her into my arms. She put her hands around my neck and I kissed her cheek lightly. We were sitting on my bed, curtains drawn, in the middle of the day, trying to get some homework done but spectacularly failing. I didn't mind - spending time with Libra made up for the lecture I knew I would get from McGonagall. 

There was something so, so special about meeting the girl you'd fallen in love with based fully on the way she wrote and the way she understood everything. Libra was my destiny - kind, clever and a quick thinker. She was fearless, ready to face and strike down anyone and anything in her way. 

"So," she began, "has your father tried to reach you?"

I sighed as she turned, her back pressed to my chest. I fingered her dark brown hair, my chin on the top of her head. "He hasn't reached out to me yet, but I think he will soon. You know how mad he is with Patil racking up so many leads."

"I still can't believe Aquarius is working for Voldemort," Libra wondered out loud. She wasn't afraid of the name. Just like Harry Potter and his friends. 

"He feels nothing," I replied starkly. "Aquarius Patil is emotionless. He doesn't want anything but power. I suppose- I suppose he's similar to the Dark Lord in that."

Libra nodded and groaned, stretching her arms. "I should be getting back, Gemini. I- I'll see you soon." She stood to open the curtains, leaving the bed and dusting off her top when I jumped up, wrapping my arms around her waist. She turned to face me, eyes wide open. "Did you really think I'd just let you leave without saying good-bye?" 

She laughed as I placed my lips on hers, smiling as I held the girl of my dreams close to me. 

Little did I know that this would be one of the last moments we would be together in peace.

Little did I know...

That someone was watching me.

AQUARIUS PATIL

"Did you really think I'd just let you leave without saying good-bye?"

I watched, silent, as Rookwood kissed the younger Rosier girl, the one with fire in her eyes. Silently, I observed, outwardly calm and inwardly in a knot. Rookwood had snuck off with Libra Rosier, the troublemaking Gryffindor who had chosen to disregard her noble heritage as a Rosier and join forces with Dumbledore. As much as I wanted to burst forth and ask Gemini why he would do such a thing, I knew I had to stay quiet. Maybe, just maybe, this was a long con. Maybe Gemini was using Libra to enter the ranks of Potter's secret organisation. 

As Libra turned and left, Gemini retreated to his bed, drawing the curtains shut. Moments later, he re-emerged, fixing up his hair. "Hey, Patil. Meeting today, right?"

"Right," I replied. I liked Rookwood. I truly did. I wanted him solidly on the side of the Dark Lord, and I knew what I had to do to accomplish that. A smile spread across my face as I walked into the Room of Requirement, a secret smile, as the Sun Tzu quote came to mind:

Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer.

"Okay, everyone's here. Great. Let's get started. Anything new to report?" 

Scorpio was, as always, quick to cut to the chase. "Nothing? Aquarius?"

"Well..." I began, looking toward our leader. "I investigated Granger's parchment, and I think they've gone ahead with the organisation."

"So do you want to follow up on sending Gemini to infiltrate their ranks?" Scorpio replied.

"Actually, I think I should be the one to do it," I said, doing all I could to not smirk at the way Gemini had suddenly tensed. 

If I was reading his body language right, he didn't want me there.

Rookwood was definitely hiding something.

"Perhaps," he interrupted, "we should both go in. Together."

I frowned, trying to digest the idea. It would be easier to figure out Rookwood's allegiances if the two were together. "Yes. I like this idea," I agreed. 

Leo grinned, her perfect teeth on display. I often thought of Leo as a diamond python: poised, polished and perfectly deadly to those who dared interact with her. Her glossy eyes resembled the shining black orbs in a python's head, her sharp jawline and the general cold perfection of her face so serpentine she seemed the personification of Slytherin house. She was, however, a Hufflepuff.

Even the hat made mistakes.

"Well, now that that's settled-" Leo was cut off by Virgo, holding up a letter. "Morgana left it."

We all crowded around Virgo, reading the well-penned letter:

To whomever it may concern,

As requested, I have procured new information about Arthur Weasley. This information is situated inside the book 'Muggles: They're Just Like Us'. I have left this book somewhere only the brains of your operation to take down Granger's new club would know. I expect payment as usual. 50 galleons for this information, 50 more for files on the other Weasleys. Leave payment hidden under the third stool from the right in this room. I will collect it later. Be careful and don't get caught.

- Morgana

"Brains of the operation," Gemini speculated. "That's got to be you, Patil."

I nodded, because acting humble in such a situation would not have been wise. "50 Galleons?" Leo exclaimed, eyes widening. 

"Pipe down, Snyde," Scorpio interjected. "I can procure the money."

"Muggles: They're Just Like Us," I mused. "It seems obvious, but..."

"Muggle Studies?" Capricorn suggested.

I frowned. "No. It's too obvious. Perhaps...

"I think I know where the book is."

.....

"I don't know what this filth was doing on my shelf," Draco Malfoy spat, handing me the book. "My father would never-"

"Thanks, Draco, sweetheart," Leo said, stroking his cheek with her long, bony fingers, making such an affectionate gesture seem effortless. "See you around."

For once, the spirited blonde boy was silent, his fingers resting where Leo had touched his skin.

Poison.

On the way back to the Room, I pulled Scorpio aside. "Yes, Aquarius?" she asked, talking in a whisper. 

"I saw Rookwood snogging your sister."

"That's- what?"

"I find it suspicious, but I suspect Rookwood is 'playing' her to make his way into the secret organisation."

"We can't be sure though, can we?"

"No. Which is why I have devised a simple method to test where Rookwood's loyalties truly lie."

"What is this method?"

"I'm going to make Libra Rosier fall in love with me," I replied, "and if it breaks Rookwood's heart to see her with somebody else..."

"We'll know," Scorpio finished.

I nodded and moved on ahead, smiling to myself.

This partnership was the best decision I had ever made.