O N E

(ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 1: ɴᴏᴛ sɴɪᴠᴇʟʟᴜs)

Valentine Lotus was rarely late to class. Unless having slept through her alarm and failing to wake up, she usually found herself situated in her desk early morning, listening to various professors lecture on and filling out worksheets until her wrist ached and eyelids drooped.

But she never complained due to the fact she was brought up to be hardworking and patient. With being in her fifth year, she was preparing herself for OWLS, then later on her NEWTS, and if she neglected to show up to her classes, she'd simply fail. It had always taken a lot of studying in order for her to understand a subject, leaving her envious of those who picked up a skill with the snap of their fingers.

But back to her attendance, she had a formal reason for being so late to classes today. Valentine, as any normal student at Hogwarts, hadn't expected to be bombarded by the literal prank from hell.

It all started when she had woken up and attended breakfast in the Great Hall. It was a nice morning, sunlight pouring through the stained-glass windows like a waterfall. The mail had already come, and Valentine had just finished her breakfast, which consisted of a crisped and buttered croissant with a bowl of mixed fruit.

Her best friend, Macey, urged Valentine to go on, seeing she had already finished eating, and Macey didn't want to keep her as she was only on her second piece of bacon.

So Valentine left, humming to herself as she brushed the crumbs from her robes, which proudly announced her placement in Hufflepuff.

She was skipping down the hall and extremely close to her first class, Herbology, when she rounded the corner and was met with a complete surprise.

The surprise being a wave of vibrant red paint raining down like a storm, weaving between her hair and staining her clothes. The substance oozed down her forehead slowly, causing her to clench her eyes and shut her mouth.

At first she heard multiple sounds of laughter, until the cherry-red paint stopped its endless release, exposing the yellow on her robes and feminine features, and all laughing ceased immediately.

Paint glued itself to her scalp, hardening fast like a shell on her golden locks which had been freshly washed that morning.

"Shit. I don't think that's Snivellus."

Valentine irritatedly spit a wad of paint from her mouth, which fell to the ground, intermixing in the pool of burgundy that had been soaked into her shoes like a sponge and splattered the tiled ground.

She slowly turned her eyes to the ground of four boys ahead of her, who wore looks of utter shock.

"Padfoot, I thought you checked the map!" One of them hissed, causing the boy with long hair, known as Sirius Black, to sputter as he withdrew something from his pocket.