F O R T Y - T H R E E

(ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 43: ʜᴇʀᴇ's ᴛᴏ ᴀ ɴᴇᴡ ʏᴇᴀʀ)

Christmas had gone by already, a blur of ice skating, Frosty the Snowman, baking cookie after cookie, and wrapping gifs until Valentine's fingertips ached.

This Christmas had been unforgettable, that was for sure. James and Valentine had agreed on not getting to expensive gifts, so she'd gotten him a golden snitch signed by his favorite quidditch player. He'd gotten her small scrap book, filled with tiny notes, letters, and pictures taken over the span of their relationship and friendship.

Valentine was especially excited for tonight, however, as her and her parents were all getting ready in preparation for the New Years party James and his family was throwing.

She'd taken care getting ready, deciding on leaving her hair natural rather than straightening it, and she dressed in a long-sleeve black shirt, a silver dress atop it, spaghetti straps to hold it around her shoulders, the dress ending mid-thigh.

She hadn't seen James in almost two weeks, and she was extremely excited to visit him, and from the letters James had sent, he felt the same.

After the last night before leaving on the Hogwarts express, James and Valentine had grown closer, if even possible.

Valllll,

My handwriting is worse than usual. I'm shaking. You know why I'm shaking? Because I'm meeting your father.

The father that literally wants me dead. The father that already hates me.

What if he hates me and bans us from dating? What if he absolutely despises me and kills me right then? Oh, Merlin, maybe I'm sick.

Yep. I'm scheduled to be sick tonight, around eight pm. Looks like you can't come over anymore! Man, that sucks!

(Okay you can come just not your parents pretty please)

Love,
James <3

P.s. leave your parents. Leave them. Please.

P.s.s. I miss you. I'm excited to see you. I wanna hug you.

P.s.s.s. Don't miss your parents. Not excited to see your parents. Don't wanna hug your parents.

Valentine snorted and re-folded the paper, setting it safely back into the drawer where she saved all the other letters she'd received from him.

"Vallie, time to go! I'm very eager!"

Valentine rolled her eyes, but she stood nonetheless, gathering her things as she walked down the hall. Both her parents were already at the front door, ready to go.