F O R T Y - F O U R

(ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 44: ʟᴀɴᴅ ᴏғ ᴄᴀɴᴅʏ)

"What. The. Fuck."

The words had spilled out of Macey's lips as soon as the two of them had entered the Great Hall. Valentine tore her eyes from the where they were headed to the Gryffindor table and turned in the direction Macey was looking, expecting something bad.

"What am I looking at?" Valentine asks, confused, head swiveling around.

"Shut your face," Macey demands, grasping Valentine's chin and turning it towards the Slytherin table.

"Oh," Valentine mumbled, eyes wide and dazed. "What the fuck."

At the Slytherin table Valentine and Macey stared at Celia, who had her arm wrapped tightly around Regulus Black, and they were quite literally making out.

Like, devouring each other's faces. Macey seemed to crumble. She'd been holding up well since the breakup, converting her sadness more into anger and humor, but the sight of Celia snogging another person, let alone a boy when Celia was lesbian, baffled her.

Celia finally pulled apart, smiling a weirdly real smile at her- whatever Regulus was. Regulus, eyes empty, returned it, running his hands through his curly hair. What unnerved Valentine the most was how dull Celia seemed. Even from across the room her hair was tied in a messy bun, as if she hadn't bothered doing it, dark, purple bags beneath her eyes. She seemed paler as well, and much thinner, cheekbones and collar bones protruding through the skin.

Macey took a step in the direction of the Slytherins, but Valentine looped an arm around her, dragging her back.

"Later. We will deal with it later. Right now you're going to act unbothered and like a total hot chick, okay? It shouldn't be that hard," Valentine urged, forcing her into a seat. Macey plastered on a fake smile, grinding her teeth as she basically threw food onto her plate, attempting to control anger.

Valentine sat across from Macey and next to James. She felt sick, and nothing seemed appealing.

Valentine couldn't fathom why she'd be with Regulus Black. Sure, he's fit, and Valentine hasn't had any conversations with him so he couldn't be judged, but Celia, first of all, didn't like dick.

Actually, that's the only reason, and it's good enough. So what the hell was she doing with a guy? And why was she making out with him in public? Celia despised PDA. She despised boys. She despised Slytherins, even though she was one.