T W E L V E

(ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 12: ʙᴏʏ ᴘʀᴏʙʟᴇᴍs)

"Holy hippogriff," Valentine groaned, clutching her head tightly with one hand and her stomach with the other. She struggled to sit up, midnight sky shining through the window, basking the blonde in rich moonlight, shadows casted along her face.

She carefully made her way to the bathroom, grimacing at her reflection. "Son of a snitch," she commented.

Heavy bags had replaced the clear skin beneath her eyes, smeared lipstick stained her mouth, mascara clouded on her eyelids.

Working as hard as she could, Valentine scrubbed last nights makeup from her face, leaving her skin pink and shiny. Then she moved on to the birds nest she called her hair, blonde strands standing array and frizzy from how she had slept.

She decided on a quick shower, cleaning the extreme stench of mead from her skin, the orange shampoo exploding in flavors of tropical islands. When Valentine had finally succeeded in cleaning her body and combing her hair, rather than dressing in her robes, she put on a fresh T-shirt and shorts, still having three hours before classes, which she decided to use for reviewing notes.

She carefully tread back across the room before grabbing her papers from the bag and climbing soundlessly into her bed, pulling the yellow covers over her legs, which had erupted in goose bumps from the cold atmosphere. Valentine leant against her pillow, back of her head resting on the bed frame, nimble fingers sifting between multiple sheets of parchment as she searched for the correct one.

Valentine sunk lower into her covers and pulled the comforter over her head, setting her belonging on her chest.

"Lumos," she muttered under her breath, and as light stained the tip of her wand, she grabbed the notes with one hand and put her wand in her mouth with the other.

Valentine's honey-toasted eyes scanned the writing, drinking in new information.

History of Magic: Rome and Greece

Roman wizards and witches did not remain the heroes of Rome forever, however. By 451 B.C., magic was curtailed by Roman law. The Twelve Tables of the decemviri legibus scribundis forbid harmful incantations and the use of magic to move a neighbour's crops to one's own field.

The Romans were a little less lenient about magic than the ancient Greeks, however they were still a very deity-centred society, so most magic still passed unnoticed.

To the ancient Greeks, it was quite important that citizens honour the gods. If something abnormal or bad happened, it was usually blamed on the wrath of a certain deity, when, actually, it was a person of magical blood being less subtle than normal. Because most everything out of the ordinary was blamed on the gods, witches and wizards had an easier time blending in with the Muggle population in ancient Greece than they did in the European Middle Ages, when witch-hunts were quite popular.