T W E N T Y - F I V E

(ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 25: ʙɪʀᴛʜᴅᴀʏ ʙᴀʀғ)

When Valentine woke up, the sound of birds chirping outside was the first thing she acknowledged, along with the bright banisters and posters clothed in scarlet red. She also noticed it was odd to only hear the birds when she'd slept in the Gryffindor dorm, a place where Lily and Alice would often wake up early to have morning discussions.

She slowly sat up, her hair a mess on her head and in her eyes. Blowing a puff of air through her lips and brushing blonde from her eyes, Valentine propped herself up on her elbows, mocha eyes scanning the room, coming to the conclusion that the girls had left.

She yawned loudly, stretching out her legs from a night of sleep as she pushed to her feet, unraveling from the sleeping bag she'd used.

She grabbed a red crew-neck from the windowsill, slipping it over her arms for extra warmth as she trudged towards the door, eyes squinted against the morning light.

She was slightly confused as to where the girls had gone, knowing it wasn't too late in the morning. In fact, she was sure breakfast was still going on.

She opened the dorm door, and faint whispering from the common room ceased, and instead, it went silent except for slight shuffling.

Valentine's eyebrows raised, slowly descending the stairs in caution, glancing around as any previous voices she'd heard had dissipated.

"Hey, is anyone- OH BLOODY HELL!"

All at once, seven figures jump out at the Hufflepuff girl, sending her heart into cardiac arrest as she screamed at the top of her lungs, clutching her chest dangerously as her mouth opened wide in shock.

Bubbling laughter erupted, leaving Valentine breathing heavily as she noticed her friends who had been behind the scare.

"Merlin's Beard! Are you trying to kill me?" Valentine exclaimed, though she was surprised to see Sirius and Remus in the same room, although they put much distance between them.

However, the first thing that caused Valentine to truly laugh was the sight of James Potter wearing a small, bright orange birthday hat, a cheesy grin plastered in his face and hair ruffled messily around the hat. His eyes are tired, a restless night as he planned Valentine's surprise to be perfect, but they screamed happiness.

"James, have you got a party hat on," Valentine snorted, and James' grin grew wider, if possible.

"Ah yes, the things I do for you," he retorted happily, coming close enough for Valentine to reach beneath his chin and yank the strap holding his hat to his head, having it rebound to hit the skin of his neck.