F O R T Y - S I X

(ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 46: sᴀʏ ᴍʏ ɴᴀᴍᴇ)

Valentine bounced up the stairs, stopping only to say hi to Marlene, and Lily, both of which were thrown around the couch in different positions, books open.

She smiled, waving before containing up the stairs to the boys dormitory. She could hear chattering from behind the door, and she paused, resting her head against the wood as an attempt to listen in. When she came up empty, she opened the door, and she strode in, but stopped, brows furrowed.

Sirius sat in front of a floor-length mirror, hunched over with an eyeliner stick in his hand, one eye hooded in black and purposefully smeared. Remus was sitting at a desk opposite of James, painting his nails black. Peter was sorting through his wardrobe, holding up various outfits to see how they looked on him.

All the boys looked up to her, seeing it was only Valentine, and then they looked back down, resuming their work.

"Did I accidentally walk into the girls dorm?" Valentine asked, snickering.

Sirius scoffed, finishing his eye makeup before he leaned back, setting down the utensil.

"Remus told me nail polish on boys is attractive to gay guys," James explained, holding up his freshly painted hand for proof.

"You're not gay... and neither am I? Right?" Valentine confirmed.

"Well, yeah, but I still wanna look attractive to them."

"Yeah, okay James," Valentine bristled through a laugh. Remus screwed the top back on the black bottle, flashing his very own black nails at Valentine.

"Okay, come on guys," Remus said, standing up. "Let's leave them to do their studying."

As he says this, he over exaggerated a wink towards Valentine before heaving up Sirius by the arm and Peter by the ear.

"Happy Valentine's Day, lovebirds," Sirius cooed as he was shoved out the door, it closing behind him.

Valentine collapsed onto James bed as they left and he spread out on the floor with a blanket, and Valentine set out her material, passing her notes to James, who pouted.

"What even is this?" He whined, jotting down some words on his papers. "Can't we just skip history of magic?"

James looked at Valentine with puppy dog eyes.

"No," Valentine dismissed, plucking the paper from his hands and holding it. She took his quill, correcting the sentence before passing it back.

"Thanks," James sighed reassuringly. "Godric, I love you."

A beat of silence passed. James didn't look up from his paper, and he acted as if he'd never said those three words at all. Valentine, on the other hand, had her mouth agape, eyes wide and heart racing.