E L E V E N

(ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 11: ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ɢᴏ ʙʀᴇᴀᴋɪɴɢ ᴍʏ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ)

Valentine swiped the knife against her browned toast, butter spreading among the bread like a brush of paint.

"He really can't come? Is he that bad?" Lily asked worriedly in regards to Remus Lupin, who had yet to leave the Hopital Wing. Valentine had visited earlier that morning, disappointed to find him looking more rough than he had the day before.

"He was sleeping when I saw him, but I think one more day off his feet would be good. Must've been a cold, or maybe even a stomach bug," Valentine answered, taking a large bite of her toast.

Everyone had to get up on the earlier side this morning because of the Quidditch match, Peter, Lily, Marlene, Macey, Sirius, and Valentine all seated together for breakfast.

As stated before, Remus was resting, and James had to be on the field for warm ups before the game.

"Well, I'd hate for him to be all alone, I'm sure he'd like some company," Lily starts, brushing her copper hair away from her eyes. "You guys don't mind if I...?"

She doesn't bother sticking around for their answer before she leaves them there, exiting the Great Hall, Valentine's eyes following her with a frown. She didn't want to think about James upsetting face when he finds his long time crush ditched the match.

"Hmm," Sirius acknowledged the look on Valentine's face. "The gears are turning. What's going through your head, Red?"

Valentine shook her head and wiped her mouth, swiping the crumbs from her front. "Nothing."

Sirius regarded her with an unconvinced look, though ultimately ignored it as he devoured his scrambled eggs.

"Hey, Val?" Peter asked softly from across the table. "You're sitting in the Gryffindor stands, right?"

"Yeah."

Peter pulled something from the bench besides him, holding it up and passing it to the girl.

"I figured you'd want to show some team spirit. Besides, it's chilly today," Peter said as Valentine inspected the Gryffindor scarf in her hands. The fabric was soft and slightly worn on the fringe, the gold and burgundy bold despite all the times it had been used.

"Thanks, Pete!" Valentine responded cheerily, wounding the scarf around her neck. Valentine was actually rather excited for the match, not having been to one since last year, and she'd always enjoyed the games.

"No problem," Peter said, voice muffled as he scooped grits into his mouth heavily, though he spluttered and suppressed a cough. He took a generous sip of pumpkin juice before sighing in relief.

At Sirius and Valentine's odd look, he shrugged. "They were hot."

Sirius snorted.

"I'm hot and no girls ever had that reaction when I'm in their mo-,"