T H I R T Y

(ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 30: ᴛᴏᴏ ᴍᴜᴄʜ sᴘᴀᴄᴇ)

Steam enveloped the air like a smokey veil, the scent strong as it filled the atmosphere. A sweet breeze whipped Valentine's hair across her face, causing her to brush the long strands out of her eyes and mouth.

Her eyes searched the platform frantically, watching for a familiar head of frizzy dark hair. Of course it had only been three weeks since Valentine had last seen Macey, but she missed her dearly.

As usual, summer had passed quite quickly, filled with cupcakes, gossip, slumber parties, and a few tears.

The tears mainly caused by a sore subject at the moment; boys.

More specifically, one boy. A boy Valentine had gone out of her way to ignore, going as far as to not even mention his name. That was how pissed off she was.

At the end of fifth year, after the prank the Marauders had pulled on Severus Snape, Valentine had distanced herself, figuring she'd finally write the boys (mainly James) over summer break.

And, hint this being a sore subject, it hadn't gone well. Last time Valentine spoke to James was when he was groveling at her feet for forgiveness. So, expecting to mend their relationship quickly, Valentine wrote him one week into summer break.

James Potter didn't reply. Not once all summer break. Not once in three months.

Valentine had sent three letters, all of which went ignored before she gave up. Letter one was her trying to sort through and talk about the elephant in the room. Letter two was confirming she had the correct address and he'd gotten the letter. Letter three was her basically insulting his immaturity and he standing by her word of never speaking to him again.

For someone who had tried so hard before school let out to apologize to Valentine, he sure was doing an awfully shitty job now.

Sure, she'd spoke to Remus, Sirius, and Peter. But they were her friends.

James was her.... James was James.

So when Valentine looked to the left and saw the four boys measly reunion, she turned her nose up and walked right past.

Sirius, noticing her reaction, hit James' shoulder and gave him a questioning look.

"Hey, I thought everything was good with Valentine? We all patched it up?"

James smiled. "I did what you said! It was kind of hard, but I did it."

Sirius suddenly looked nervous. "Uh- what did I say?"

James shot him a pointed look. "To give her space."

"Oh, Merlin," Sirius groaned. "How much space did you give her?"

"Three months worth... do you suppose that was enough? She wrote me a couple times and I wanted to say something back, but you-,"

"JAMES!" Sirius roared, slapping James across the back of his head. "What the shit, you bloody idiot! I told you to give her space, not ignore her for three months!"