T H I R T E E N

(ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 13: ʙɪᴛᴄʜᴇs ʙᴇ ʙɪᴛᴄʜᴇs)

"You don't suppose if I make something blow up we can leave early, do you?" Valentine asked boredly, hand supporting her cheek as she stared into the glimmering potion that occupied her desk, Macey besides her as she carefully stirred it counter-clockwise.

"We've tried this before, and we only got detention. I wouldn't fancy spending another night cleaning Slughorn's chamber, would you?" The retorted, putting away her ladle to glance sideways at her friend.

"Merlin, no. I'm just exhausted, that's all. Had to stay up late working out the kinks in the boys plan," Valentine explained grimly.

"Are you going to spill on what this prank is, exactly?" Macey inquires, retrieving a small vile from the desktop and gesturing towards Valentine for her to drain the solution into the container.

The cauldron was cold beneath Valentine's fingers and rather heavy, though she leveled the weight and slowly tilted it forward, pouring the thick, orange substance into the vile until it reached the brim, signaling Valentine to set it back to the side.

"How was Professor Binn's test?" Macey suddenly questions, and Valentine shrugged.

"Most likely failed, but, that was to be expected. The notes he required us to take were far too complicated, it was like he set me up for failure," Valentine answered, wiping down the desk from any particles left behind during their classwork assignment.

"As usual. What's you expect from the ghoul?"

Valentine playfully hit Macey's shoulder.

"You shouldn't call him that!" Valentine scolded earnestly, packing up her supplies as Professor Slughorn released them.

"But he's just so boring!"

"Yeah, well, some people are better in small doses," Valentine agreed as she carefully weaved her way between fellow classmates, headed towards Transfiguration, knowing she had to part from Macey.

"Truest thing you've said all day," Macey sighed, slowing as she neared her classroom. "Anyways, see you at lunch, then?"

Valentine nodded, bidding her friend goodbye as she continued her path, wishing she could simply skip her next class, although she wasn't a good liar, and she would be far too scared of being caught.

She turned into the Transfiguration classroom, recognizing the sand-colored columns and windows of which bright sunlight shone through vibrantly.

Sluggishly, Valentine slumped into her chair besides Lily, her books fanning out against the oak table as she'd practically thrown them down. Valentine laid her forehead down, groaning unenthusiastically at the thought of sitting through another lesson.

"Oi, Red! Is operation 'M' a go?" A voice hissed from the back of the classroom.

"Yes," Valentine muttered, although Sirius didn't quite hear her.