T H I R T Y - T W O

(ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 32: ɢᴜᴇss ᴡʜᴏ?)

Valentine was impeccably slow the next morning. She was dreading breakfast, purposefully putting on her robes inside out before fixing them. Macey, on the otherhand, was about to throw her second shoe at the girl for taking her sweet time to get ready.

"Godric, Val! If you could just pretend those bloody Death Eaters were on your tail and speed this along, that would be great!"

Valentine gasped, her smile disappearing for a hot second as she turned towards Macey, appalled.

"I ought to throw a shoe at you for that!" Valentine exclaimed. "You shouldn't joke about it."

"Well if you'd hurry up, I wouldn't have taken such extremes measures. Besides, a girl gotta eat, and I'm hungry."

"Based off the way you act," Valentine grumbled, slipping in her shoe. "You aren't a girl. And you're always hungry, it's barbaric."

Macey sarcastically smiled, making a face. "Thanks. What's up with you, anyways? You practically flew away from class yesterday, then when you finally came back you got right in bed and couldn't stop smiling. Now you're still wearing that stupid grin, and you're taking decades to put your bugging shoes on."

Valentine laced her shoe quickly, getting to her feet so she wouldn't have to listen to her friend complaining. She pocketed her wand, making her way down from the dorms, Macey on her heels.

Don't get her wrong, Valentine was more than excited to see James. But she was so nervous. So, so, so nervous. She hadn't even begun to brain storm about what to say, how to act, or what to do. And she had to know, otherwise she'd lose it completely. Things never went well when Valentine freaked out, and she was close to losing it.

So when she and Macey had finally entered the Great Hall, she'd taken a deep breath to find the Marauders hadn't even arrived yet. Valentine allowed her heart to calmly reset, reassurance setting in.

"Whats got you all stressed out?" Macey inquired, setting bacon on her plate as she watched Valentine with curious eyes.

James Potter kissed me. Hard. Good. Hot.

"Nothing in particular," Valentine shrugged, picking at her food, mouth dry at the thoughts she enslaved in her head.

"Are you sure about that?" Macey pressed, not believing Valentine one bit.

"Yes?"

"You're a terrible liar."

"Yes."

Macey sighed. Then she stole a look over her shoulder towards Celia, frowning as the Slytherin ducked down to avoid her gaze. Then Macey looked back at Valentine. Then her eyes widened, making Valentine's eyes widen, assuming the worst.