F O R T Y - N I N E

(ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 49: ᴛʜᴇ ʟᴀsᴛ ᴅᴀʏ ᴏғ sɪxᴛʜ ʏᴇᴀʀ)

Dear Jonathan,

I've thoroughly appreciated the letters you write me each week. It's nice to hear little things from my daughters life through someone that isn't her.

I wrote this letter, although begrudgingly, to admit that you're not half bad. I was originally quite scared because I heard you were popular and fit (I'm sure you know this, you cocky child) and I was afraid you'd absolutely break my daughter.

Instead, it seems, you put her together. Not that she was broken... maybe mentally, but she's been pretty efficient.

She's been living all her life. But you, son, made her alive.

So I want to thank you for watching over her and protecting her while I wasn't there. Thank you for making her laugh and teaching her to love.

(If you ever break her heart, I'll break your head. This is a threat).

Have a great summer, James, and I'm sure I'll see you plenty (probably far more than I intend to).

With fatherly love,

Thomas/Valentine's dad

P.S. Valentine said I couldn't sign this as 'the harbinger of death'

P. S. S. If you propose to my daughter anytime soon, I'll cut those gorgeous hairs from your head and glue them to your chest.

James practically galloped to Valentine's dorm, letter clutched tight in his hand and grin wide on his lips. Taking the stairs two at a time, he bursts into the room, kicking off his shoes and leaping onto her bed.

Valentine groaned and writhed under the covers, shuffling to make space as she laid, face in her pillow.

"Get off me, James!" She mumbled, and he did as she told, but slipped an arm beneath her waist and turned her upwards, holding her.

"I love you, and your father loves me. He's practically my dad now. You're practically my sister."

Valentine grimaced. "First of all, gross. Second of all, it's way too early for this."

James' grin widened, and Valentine was shocked to see him up and happy so early in the morning.

"I mean, you're not my sister, obviously, I wouldn't go d-,"

Valentine shoved him by his shoulder, alerting him the others were in the room.

"Point is, I've been accepted by Thomas Lotus!" He declared, staring intently at his girlfriend.