T W E N T Y

A/N   highly recommend listening to Paper Rings by Taylor Swift for this chapter bc it's the perfect song for them

(ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 20: ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀʀᴇ ᴀʙᴏᴜᴛ ᴍᴇ?)

Valentine braced herself, crouching her knees with her wand raised. She was currently in Defense Against The Dark Arts, and the class has been instructed to find a partner and practice dueling.

Of course Macey was her partner, and Valentine had to admit she was slightly scared, not wanting to hurt her friend or herself. Their Professor had set up piles of pillows and blankets for if they fell, and an abundance of hexes were being called out around the class, sparks and colors whizzing by.

Macey stood opposite of her, a determined look plastered on her face. Finally, she swished her wand.

"Colloshoo," Macey called, and as Valentine was too slow, she felt her feet attach to the ground, disabling her from moving. Valentine mentally scolded herself for her speed, struggling with her shoes and the feeling of being glued in place.

With Macey approaching the blonde, Valentine quickly raised her wand.

"Ebublio!"

A large, shimmering bubble enveloped Macey, trapping her in the glowing circle, giving Valentine enough to to mutter the counteract spell, successfully removing her feet from the ground. Taking the opportunity, she raised her wand again.

"Flipendo!"

In response, the large bubble surrounding Macey popped as she hit the surface, being flung backwards and swallowed into a stack of pillows, letting out a groan.

Valentine walked over to help Macey up, only for her to jump up at the last second. "Rictusempra!"

"No!" Valentine yelled in rebuttal, but it was too late as she felt her insides grow queasy, forced laughs tumbling up her throat as tickling subdued her entire body.

Her eyes began to water, though she couldn't tell of it was from laughing or crying. For some reason, Macey always used this spell on Valentine for no apparent reason. And Valentine absolutely hated it. Being tickled hurt, and here she was, collapsed at the ground as she clawed around for it to stop.

Finally, the spell lifted, leaving Valentine heaving on the ground, trying to catch her breath. She glanced up to see Macey with a frown on her face, and Remus who towered over her, arm outstretched.

Gratefully, Valentine took Remus' hand, allowing him to pull her up. "You looked like you were going to puke," he commented, and Valentine nodded while swallowing thickly.