T H I R T Y - T H R E E

(ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 33: ɪɴ ᴍʏ ʙᴇᴅ)

The next Hogsmeade trip was hastily approaching, and both Valentine and James couldn't be more excited. Due to their lack of dates, they'd lacked to establish what exactly they were, but they'd explained the situation to their friends, all of which were so incredibly happy for the bunch. Now Valentine just had to wait for Lily and Remus to make up, and for Celia to stop cowering away from Macey.

The remnants of September flew by, and Halloween was quickly approaching. The Marauders had spent tons of time planning what they explained as 'the coolest party ever', which at this point they called all their parties.

During weekdays Valentine found she didn't have as many classes with her friends as she had previous years, especially not with the boys, although she would admit she was excited to share Defense Against the Dark Arts, especially since they were planning on covering an exciting topic today; patronouses.

"A patronous is a kind of positive force, a projection of the very things that the Dementor feeds upon – hope, happiness, the desire to survive – but it cannot feel despair, as real humans can, so the Dementors can't hurt it.

Your Patronus has two forms, non-corporeal and corporeal. A non-corporeal Patronus can appear as a thin wisp of silver that hovers like mist. Whereas a corporeal Patronus has a form that is clearly defined and is more than vapour or smoke."

Our Professor took a deep breath, checking that her class was playing close attention.

"The ability to cast a corporeal or non-corporeal Patronus is down to the skill of the witch or wizard. Each Patronus is unique to the witch or wizard who conjures it, and it's possible, in some cases, for a Patronus to change. All that is required is that you chant the spell as you think of a happy memory."

Valentine was stumped. She had so many happy memories she wasn't sure it was possible to single out just a single one.

All around the room people began muttering 'expecto patronum' on repeat, some fizzy shapes casting from wands, but no full pantronouses.

Until someone finally did, and of course it was Sirius Black. Valentine was initially surprised he of all people had gotten it his first try, knowing how hard his childhood was, but Valentine figured he had chosen one here at Hogwarts.

Sirius' corporeal patronus leapt around the room in the form of a large black dog, the animals tongue sticking out the side of its mouth.

Sirius smirked when some girls 'awed', taking a bow. Valentine shot him an exasperated look.

And all around the class over a couple of minutes some patronuses formed, and others didn't.

At some point Remus' had created his, and a large, beautifully colored wolf had popped out. Remus' smile had dropped and he had paled at the sight of it, seeming he couldn't quite escape reality, and Valentine could tell his patronus was not what he had wanted it to be.