Chapter 15

Camp, Maiduguri.

"Elhaam, I'm going out" ayan called out adjusting his little bag he goes to medical classes with.

"Wait. I made tea" her little figure rushed out of the kitchen holding a silver cup.

"Hot water?" He puzzled

"Aunty fa'i gave me her old kettle" she replied

Glancing at the cup skeptically, he shook his head in a negative gesture.

"Come on walaal. How bad can my tea be?" She scoffed.

"Isn't this your first time? I don't want to be your experiment buddy"

"If not you, then who! Just have it. Please" she pouted intentionally dragging the please.

Giving the cup one last look over, Ayan collected the cup, then took a sip from it.

It was nothing special. Just Lipton teabag and sugar, but the hope and expecting look on her face, Ayan broke into a grin.

"Its so sweet. I don't want to eat or drink anything again but your tea"

"I can make another one for you" she hurriedly spoke, excitement coating her tone

"When I get back, I promise. You'll make me a cup, but I'm running late now. Would you be heading to aunty fa'i house for your training?"

"No. I got a free day. I'd just play with Fatima." She replied

"Alright. Bye"

"Bye" she muttered following him to the front door.

Watching his form take different turns to his destination, she shut the door proceeding to the kitchen.

Looking down at the cup Ayan took a sip from, she put it to her lips to taste.

"Eek" she squealed.

How did walaal push this down? Its so sugary? She thought to herself.

Humming incoherently, she dumped the cup in the sink, before heading out.

"Aunty fa'i, ina kwana" she greeted (good morning, aunty fa'i)

"Lafiya lau diya ta" she replied with a smile. (Same to you my child)

"Where is Fatima?"

"I think she's with amina. Why don't you go join them"

Hearing this, Elhaam didn't bother cancealing the huge frown on her face, and her sagged shoulders.

She understood amina was Fatima's stepsister, but did she really have to take fatima to all around.

Disconsolately, she dragged her feet to the suppose meeting spot of the teenagers.

"Elhaam, zo nan" firdausi, a girl amongst the group called out seeing Elhaam come into view.

Elhaam resisted the urge to glare at her for calling all the attention to her, but she couldn't.

"Elhaam my baby sis, did you tell your brother what I told you to?" Mufeedah, the girl holding fatima shamelessly started

"No" she solemnly replied

"Why? I told you since last week fah" the girl whined

"Is that how you want to enter as her sister in law. With the way you're talking?" Firdausi snorted.

"Ba ruwan ki. Because Ayan turned you down right to your face doesn't mean everyone's fate will be the same as yours" the girl earlier retorted

"Let's not start that one with you. Mind your business" Firdausi glared