Bonus Chapter

Abuja, Nigeria.

The eighteen year old stuffed his books and whatnot into his backpack as he strutted out of his disoriented room.

"Ya musty na shirya" he yelled over the stairs as he struggled with his bag and phone.
(Ya musty I'm ready)

"Khalil, where are you going without breakfast?" Zulai called out as she sets the dining table.

Without so much as a single glance, he walked past her as he continued for the door.

It had been 10 years plus now, yet nothing changed with khalil's behavior. If anything, it only got worse.

Over the time, many adviced to give him time. That it was only part of the childishly act still attached to him. That it was the notorious side of a teenager acting up.

But no. With time passing, it only became clear that this was how it was going to be until God knows when.

She ran out following her son as he stood waiting for his older brother.

"Khalil I'm talking to you. How dare you walk out on me?" She scolded.

"Khalil answer me!" She yelled.

"When will you let go of this childish behavior of yours. It's grown old now. I'm your mother fah" zulai cried, frantically shaking him by the collar.

"You are not my mother" he finally let his voice come out.

"Then what am I? Tell me! Who carried you for nine months, endured labor pain and pushed you out. Who nurtured you and breastfed you? Tell me mana! If I'm not your mother who is?" She screamed into his face in clear rage.

"Let's not bring that up. The fact you orphaned me is enough to strip the title of mother from you" he retorted pushing her away from himself.

"KHALIL! That is your mother" an elderly man barked rushing towards them with Mustapha and Aisha trailing behind.

It had become the norm, the constant fight between zulai and her son was now the wake up call for the house.

"Then Mr Bagudu, tell your wife to stop interfering in my business every damn morning. I want nothing to do with her or with you, it's that simple" he spat back.

"Khalil" Mustapha silently warned.

"Because of one dead boy, this is how you treat your mother. Alhaji kana gani koh! Musty, Aa'i, where did I go wrong in raising the three of you?" Zulai dramatically vented falling to the floor.

"Of course you never disappoint bringing ya fahaad into this. You are the cause of my attitude, only you and no one else. If for real he was dead, you killed him too cause you stopped the search team even before they began. So if I were you, I wouldn't be here pulling emotional crap trying to talk to me. The mere sight of you sickens me. Your husband,  this house, everything!" With that said, he stormed out of the gate with only Musty running after him.

"Khalil how will you go to..."

"I'll hail a taxi or something. Anything but to stay in the same place as that woman"

***

"Khalil wai ya ne? I've been talking to you you're not responding " Usman said, calling him out of his bitter reverie.

"Kai dai bari. I had a rough morning honestly" Khalil shrugged rubbing his tired face.

"Let me guess, your mother"

With that simply statement it earned him a glare.

"Khalil, I've mentioned this to you countless time an I'll say it again. In as much as she gave birth to you, she is your mother. That woman loves you with her heart" Usman started in a serious tone.