Chapter 35

"Alisha?"

I called out to her numb silhouette in the dark room. She really seemed upset sitting with the curtains closed, giving the room a dull purple illumination.

"Can you leave me alone please?" Her request came almost as a whisper.

I hesitantly spun around to leave, but with the thought it could've been Fatimah in her place, I halted. A sharp pain surged through me, coming with anger at the mere thought someone terrifying my sister to such extent.

I heaved a sigh, closing the door, I stepped further into the room until I sat at the edge of the bed.

I kept my distance, giving her as much space she needed and the silence she so longed for.

"I told you to decline it. Dad would have easily gotten you into another school" her dull toned whisper echoed the room.

I sat mum not knowing what to say. I was never in a position to sympathize. Ayan was the one good at it. The early years at the camp, he was always there, ready to endure my screams.

Yet, after a decade, here I was with a teenager I'm not even that close to, in a scene I wouldn't have guessed.

A couple moments later, her labored heavy breathes filled the room. I covered her with the bed cover and decided to get under also.

I took my phone out, seeing the notification from Fatimah, I hastily clicked it and entertained myself with the bunch of pictures she shared.

It was a wedding event. Some she was alone in, others with Amina and a few faces I didn't know.

I chatted her up with a hey, then complimented the pictures she sent, especially the ones of her alone.

Suddenly, a message from Fahaad popped up.

'Are you alright?'

I totally ignored how abruptly I left the table earlier. It must have given off a message I was unaware of.

'I'm good. But Alisha isn't' I typed back.

'What's wrong with her?'

'Remember the conversation we had earlier about bullying, I think she's dealing with something similar  in school'

'Did she tell you that?'

'Well, she didn't admit it yet, but she left a few hints'

I felt stupid from my reply. Of course she didn't tell me anything. What if I was wrong all this while. What if she was being moody. That's not even possible.

'Give her space, and show her support. Show her that she can trust you, if you trust her. She might be too scared to consult anyone'

I smiled at my phone like a fool, having no clue as to why I was suddenly so cheerful. His words were thoughtful. I wasn't showing support, nor was I giving her space, I was prompting her to say what was going on in HER life.

I went to my gallery to while away time. The first album I saw made my smile even wider. It was a picture on our day out on the beach in Mauritius.

I laughed heartily and fahaad had a still genuine smile on his face, the sunset orange shun on our faces as it glistened on the ocean surface. I was in love with the picture.

I made the picture my home screen, and slid further into the bed. Gently not to wake Alisha up, I brought her cuddled her to me and slowly drifted into slumber.

***

One week later

After my Fajr prayer, I found it difficult to go back to sleep for an hour before I'd necessarily start getting ready for school.