Chapter 36

Everywhere seemed to be in an unbreakable silence. The birds that chirped were mute, the breeze that swayed hushed, the bustling noises of the city wasn't there anymore. Nothing but me and my reality.

I looked up to fahaad and I couldn't recognize him. I knew him for 11 years now, yet I couldn't recognize him today. The look of anger I saw on his face made the one in me diminish. Opposite him, Mastab looked even more terrified.

One glance at my face, and you could see the mirroring expression of Mastab. I wasn't terrified of Fahaad, but I was afraid of what he was capable of doing at that moment.

"How?" He slowly dragged the word, his dangerously low tone sending a shiver down my spine. I had never seen him like this, and I didn't like it one bit.

"The principal's daughter Halsey is in my class. She mentioned something about her dad admitting a refugee. I don't know how it started to be honest" Mastab trembled with his words.

"How on earth do expect me to believe that you have no idea and let it go? One day, just one day and such an outrageous rumor begins to circulate, and you so happen not to know when or how it began." Fahaad yelled, making me flinch and cower in fear.

"Take her home" he stated, tossing the keys to Mastab without as much a second glance my way.

I wanted to call out to him, calm his rage, do something, but I couldn't as I watched him stride off from our spot.

Dejectedly, I followed Mastab as he lead the way to the passenger's seat, before he got himself seated on the driver's seat.

I was emotionless. I should feel something. Rage, frustration, pain, anything, yet the one word to describe what I felt was numb.

"Elhaam, I'm really sorry. I hadn't the least idea those rumors were circulating about you. Had I known sooner, I would have done anything to stop it" Mastab stated with concerned latched to his tone.

I could feel his gaze on me as he tried to decipher a response from me, yet I couldn't bring myself to even look his way. My fingers just seemed way more interesting than addressing the situation.

The moment the vehicle stopped, I didn't wait for a second as I pushed myself into the house and up the stairs. I couldn't even feel bad when I walked by aunty mahira as she greeted enthusiastically.

I settled on the bed with a humph, just on cue the tears started to roll by.

Why? Just when I thought my life here could be possibly normal something like this had to remind me just how messed up my life has been.

My silent cries soon turned into sobs and I only wished I wasn't heard all the way down. I sniffled and whimpered, wishing I was nowhere but home.

Suddenly and almost coincidental, my phone vibrated from the tossed bag beside me.

I thought of ignoring whoever it was, then hurriedly rushed to it in contradiction.

Seeing it was aunty fa'i calling for a video call, I hurriedly wiped my face then swiping the green button.

"Heyyy" fatima sang into the phone before her face finally popped on the screen.

"Hey" I replied with much less enthusiasm.

"Allaah ya shirye ku. No salam from the both of you" I heard aunty fa'i in the background.

Fatima made a face which earned her a smack to the head. It took everything in me not to burst out in tears. I wanted to go home. Be in the arms of aunty fa'i while she whispered everything was going to be alright.