Chapter 18

Elhaam's POV

The knock on the front door echoed through the house. The day just began, who could be at the door?

I hurriedly wore a long hijab over my towel since I just came out of the toilet.

The knock came on harder just before I could reach the door.

Why so impatient?

I opened the door, coming face to face with a small girl. I had never seen her before.

"Ina kwana" she greeted shyly.
(Good morning)

I would guess she'd be around six to seven years old.

"Lafiya lau"(I don't know😅)

I gave her a confused look as to why she's at our door.

Was she lost?

"Yaya na ne ya aiko ni. Wai gashi" (my elder brother sent me. He said you should have this) she then extended her hand holding a food warmer.

I tried to hide my discomfort but failed miserably. Why should I collect something from a stranger? I was never as much irresponsible.

"Thank you. I don't want" I gave her a tight lipped smile hoping she'd leave, instead she looked dumbfounded. She didn't understand me.

"Sorry. Na ce ba na so."

The look of disappointment took over her expression. But what could I do? Collecting this would be a go ahead to whatever that might follow.

"Sannu" I sympathized, closing the door shut.

That went uncomfortably well, I thought.

I dressed in a simple black gown Milan bought me over one of his trips to Abuja. He never failed to return with gifts, for either me, ayan, fahaad, Fatima, or her brothers. Sometimes it even extends to auntie fa'i.

Lately, I mostly stayed at home. I've already acquired all necessary chores to get us going. Ayan once said I could be his mother and not his sister at the age of thirteen.

I lazily strolled to the kitchen. There's nothing to do. I could start cooking lunch, but it would get cold by lunchtime.

I settled on watching something on the TV. I only watch it in the night. Ayan does the watching everyday.

I switched it on, and as usual, it was on sports channel. I scoffed, not knowing what was the interest in watching ball kicked from one angle to the next.

I put on an animation channel adjusting myself to comfort. Suddenly, the door bell rang again. The second time for the door.

I never had visitors, why today?

I hesitated on opening the door, but when it got even more urgent, I sighed and walked to the door.

"Ina kwana" a man probably in his late 20s smiled.

I reciprocated with a deep frown, waiting to hear what it is he has to say.

"Umm...dama na zo na ce, ko za ki dan fito mu tattauna?" (Umm...I wanted to know if you could step out so we would talk)

I didnt quite get the whole sentence, but I was about a hundred percent sure it was flirting.

I didn't bother concealing the eye roll, nor the disapproving look I shot his way.

"Excuse me. Don't bother knocking on the door again" with that said, I shut the door, unintentionally causing a loud thud. He deserved it anyway.

I walked back to the couch, my mood tainted for the morning.