chapter 3

5:00PM, Maiduguri state, 2000

They've traveled for more hours than they can keep up with. Their stomachs rumbling and grumbling every now and then. Eyes droopy from tiredness. They were worn-out to the core, but they could do close to nothing about the whole issue.

Seated in between two men at the back seat, elhaam's stomach churned for a hundredth time, gaining ayan's attention.

"You must be hungry. I'm sorry elhaam. I can't provide food" he sulked.

"It's okay. We'll be okay, remember you said that" she assured him.

"Hey! If you plan on habouring kids, why don't you keep us alive and provide food" ayan spat the words to the man next to him.

"Food? Wato abinci kenan" the man reasoned

"Yes, whatever that is. We are hungry" ayan said, putting emphasis on every word with hope the man will understand.

"Jama'a, kaman fa yaran na jin yunwa"
(People, I think the kids are hungry)

"Toh Ina ruwan ka dasu"
(What's your business with them)

"Wai ko mu siya ko da awara ko kosai"
(At least  let's buy beans cake or beans dumpling for them)

A few more exchanges were made, before finally, the truck came to a stop for a food break for everyone.

"Za ku yi fisari?"
(Do you want to use the toilet?"

The man Ayan spoke to earlier asked. Ayan had no idea what that meant, and he wouldn't answer to something he doesn't know yet. They are murderers, for all he can conclude, the man could be asking him permission to kill his sister.

He stayed whist, with a clueless expression.

"Danladi, tambayo mana mai kantin ko ya iya turanci"
(Danladi, help us ask the kiosk owner if he can understand English)

Couple minutes passed, before a man peeked through the rolled down window from ayan's side.

"He's asking whether you want to use the toilet before you go" he explained. Despite the fact the alphabets were mispronounced, they still got what he meant.

"Yes please. And can you please tell them we need food and water?" Ayan politely requested

"Don't worry. They will give you"

The kiosk owner elaborated the short discussion he had with the kids without giving out the feeling of doubt and worry he had towards the kids.

How did they end up with eight rugged looking men all alone?

Why is it that they don't even look Nigerians?

Why can't the kids speak hausa only English?

Reminding himself it's not his place to worry, he handed the black nylon containing the things they purchased and left. He only made a silent prayer for the kids in his heart to have the best Allah can grant them in life.

"Oya, ku sakko"
(Come down)

If not for the hand gesture beckoning  them to follow, they'd have no idea what the man meant.

Upon reaching the side of the road, he directed them to the bushes where they won't be seen, and instructed them to squat and do their business.

With scrunched expressions, they complied reminding themselves they don't know when next they'd have a potty break.

The moment they ended their business, they were led back to the car, and a couple of packaged snacks were shoved to them. At that sight, elhaam's face broke into a smile and Ayan had a smile of his own seeing his sister happy in hours.