Chapter 19

I hurried to the hospital, the constant remainder of my pending prayer nagging me.

I pushed open the doors into the cooled reception not needing to state my purpose to the receptionist.

I started straight to ayan's office, but was interrupted.

"Is it true?"

I glanced at a nurse wearing a frown on her face. The tears welled in her eyes made me frown in confusion.

"What?"

"That you and Dr ayan's sister are together?"

Her question shocked me and I didnt bother concealing it.

Who would tell her that?

From my silence, tears started falling until it turned to sobs, and then wailing.

I had no idea what to do. Nothing like this has happened to me before, nor did I imagine it happening.

Giving her one last confused look, I walked away, right on time some other nurses approach her with sympathy.

I knocked on the door just to make sure he had no patients with him, then walked in.

"Oh, finally. You got them. Thank you so much" he hurriedly stated.

"I'll be off now. We'll meet up by three?"

"I'll just stop by your office once I'm done. Then we'll head out together. Lunch with us?"

"Actually I have some leftovers. But I have something to discuss with you. So sure"

Ayan just nodded in the midst of going through his files. I took that as my cue to leave, and so I did.

I ignored the looks I got, some envious, sad, or just surprised. The mutterings and whispers didnt help either.

Nevertheless, I prayed and returned back to my office. Pending account balances was never a good thing.

Engrossed in my work, I missed ayan's entrance until he sat before me.

"And I'm suppose to be the busy one" he smugged

"Of course. You're a doctor. I'm below you" I replied with a smile.

"You pay me, don't forget. And in case you're forgetting, those in the financial department are ranked higher than those in the medical department"

I chuckled at his triumph statement. This was a sign of the end of an argument.

"Lemme round up for the day"

"Take your time. I actually came with a question in mind"

"Mhm..." I indicated for him to continue while I enter the final budgets for the week.

"You and Elhaam? Together without my knowledge?"

From the tease in his voice, I let out an inaudible laugh.

"You wouldn't agree would you?"

"Of course not! Why would I! I always knew you both had a thing for each other. Eventually, you'll steal my baby sis, and I'll be disposed like a used good. My expiration date has arrived" he feigned hurt.

Ayan's humor and joking skills was way beyond my reach. Always brightening the day. Sometimes I wondered, was Elhaam also like that with those she trusted?

At the same time, his strict and stern level wasn't to be compared with mine. Where he could voice out his thought without an ounce of regret, I'd rather keep shut and let go.