Chapter 6

9:30AM, maiduguri state, 2000

"Sir, I choose to be a doctor. And I also want my sister join me personally" Ayan stated, forthcoming in sight.

"That's okay child. But your sister cannot study with you. What women do here is just to aid in giving birth and that's under the women's category. if you want her to study, then you have to sign her up for that."

"Oh" Ayan muttered, feeling dejected and defeated for some reason. Elhaam however, had the same look of an innocent angel on her face.

"Do you wish to sign her up?" The man probed.

"Uhh...Elhaam, do you want to be aiding pregnant women as a job?" Ayan asked. He knew he was her guardian now, but he felt the need to ask for her opinion on this. After all, it's her future they're speaking of.

"Do I get to see the babies?" She asked excitedly, relating pregnant to babies.

"Yes elhaam, but you'd see a lot more" Ayan asked, the worry in his voice evident.

"Walaal, babies don't kill like the bad men. I'll be fine" she whispered inaudibly.

"How about, you stay home for now. Then if you grow a little more, you'll decide then?" Ayan suggested. Clearly he wasn't ready to just back down.

"Okay"

"She won't enter now. Can I still register her for later?" Ayan directed to the man who felt much less important around the kids.

"Uh sure. What are your full name?" He inquired

"Why is that important?" Ayan freaked out, suddenly becoming defensive. He had no plan to disclose their real identities. If eventually they get to escape, then their identities can give out their whereabouts.

"So you can officially belong to our people. No one from other hideouts will harm you without been avenged" he softly explained

"Oh. It's Ayan Hashim Shaahid and Elhaam Hashim Shaahid" he hesitantly stated.

"Age?"

"I'm twelve and she's five about to be six soon."

"Okay. Academic year before you left school?"

"Elhaam was about to enter year 1 and I'm in year 8"

"Any special disorders"

"No"

"That's all then. You'll speak to Mai later in the day. As for you Ayan, you'll join the class for medical department. As for Elhaam, I'll assign someone who will immediately start with her household chores tutoring, any questions?" The man addressed, getting up from the sofa about to leave.

"Yes. Isn't Elhaam too young to start any work? She can get hurt" Ayan buttressed following the man to the door.

"Yes that's true. But no one said she's going to start working now child. You still will have food from Mai's house. You'll have someone clean your house until she's capable of taking over. Oh, and you have to choose a mother soon, Mai's words" he elaborated stepping out of their building.

"Who is this Mai?" Elhaam's gentle voice asked

"The leader here. The one you met yesterday, remember him?" He asked, crouching down to meet face to face with her.

She gave a small nod, lowering her gaze so he can't see her eyes. Not due to shyness, but the lack of trust she has for the people in the camp.

"See you tomorrow Ayan" he bade, moving away to another sandy lane.