Chapter 7

8:09AM, maitama, Abuja. 1999

It's been about six days since fahaad took his first interview, and just like Ibrahim thought, he kept to his words on looking for new schools for him.

While Ibrahim searched for schools open for admission, zulai was enthusiastic on the fact fahaad didn't get in the school after all. At least then, her kids will still be in a more expensive school than fahaad.

Then again, the bond of the quad strengthened with a great impact. Fahaad speaking now and then. Khalil still remained his favorite, then the twins with an on-and-off personalities. Almustapha being bossy and caring at the same time. Always executing power, while aisha been the elegant classy girl her mother taught her to be. Even with such personalities, fahaad had a great time bonding with them.

"I have a great news to share with you all" Ibrahim beamed over their breakfast meal at the table, clawing every attention to him.

"Really daddy. Are we traveling again?" Aisha squealed, getting jumpy on the thought of going outside the country again.

"No aisha. It's about your brother?" He added looking straight to fahaad.

"Oh! You are buying them a new toy? Amma fah it's not fair" aisha whined

"No...just lemme say it. Fahaad got accepted in his new school"

His announcement resulted to huge squeals from all his siblings and his dad, but a grimace from zulai.

"What do you mean he got accepted? I thought you said he wrote a wrong class's work" zulai quizzed

"Yes he did..."

"So he wrote a class lower than what he was suppose to write, abi he cheated. Cause I'm not understanding this thing" she interrupted, smirking at the thought of precious fahaad cheating.

"Oh zulai. With your happy giddy tone at my son cheating, I'd love to inform you that fahaad sat for a higher class by mistake, two classes higher than what he was to write to be precise, and he passed. Something no one in this house can do" Ibrahim snickered.

Zulai gasped at his words. He not only insulted her and himself, but also her poor children who had no idea what was going on.

"Do you know the  interpretation of what you just said?" She whispered, barely hearing her own voice.

"I spoke the words, I'm quite aware of what I said. Now to avoid any more bickering, I suggest you eat your food and keep quiet" he warned.

All the while, the trio siblings kept congratulating fahaad on his achievement, the boys advising him on what he can ask his dad to buy, while aisha lecturing him on how to boast about his result to his friends in the school, both simultaneously.

Yet fahaad had his ears perched somewhere else, listening to Ibrahim and zulai's tiff. Why was he the cause of every bad thing going on around here? Why was he bringing downfall to their marriage?

"Umm...Abba, can you call mama for me today?" Fahaad timidly asked over the silent room, astounding Ibrahim to the core. This was the first time he used a label for 'father' on him.

Ever since their unfinished conversation at the school reception, he's noticed how fahaad had tried to carefully bridge the gap between the two of them. But calling him 'Abba' is a huge accomplishment.

"Yes, sure my boy. I'll call her after your breakfast kaji?" He sputtered the words out in a daze.

"Daddy, we want to talk to mama too" almustapha chirped.

Zulai shot her head at her son's direction, comprehending the meaning of his words. So the mad woman spoke to her children.

"Which mama? I'm your only mother, not some deserted mental woman from one village...."