Chapter 11

"I want to talk to my son Ibrahim. How do you expect me to just be calm knowing my only source of peace is miles away" Hadiza let out her worried tone, opposing Ibrahim's reasoning.

"I understand, but we'll be there in a week. If he speaks to you now, don't you think he will be down for a while. I don't want him to be upset"

"I know my son more than you do. If he in fact tries to worry over missing so much, then I'd speak to him and assure him not to worry, just get him on the phone. Please"

Dejected she had to use knowing fahaad over him made him quite upset. For it been true, he felt the clench in his heart. He did try, and fahaad too did, but the relationship hadiza shares with her son can never be comparable to any.

With a heavy heart, Ibrahim called Fahaad from the game he waas playing with almustapha and khalil.

"mama, ina wuni" (good afternoon)

"lahiya lau yarimana. You've forgotten your mother koh?"

"I didn't. I just had it in mind we'll be visiting soon. I didn't want to disturb Abba"

"Its okay. How are your siblings?"

At that, Fahaad thought to himself. Even without saying anything bad to his mom about them, how are they?

Almustapha,though he is the same bossy brother, something changed in his behavior. He just doesn't care about any ones feelings. He says what he wants to, when and how he wants to. He once called Fahaad the black sheep and a curse as to why his mother has an indifferent opinion about him.

And aisha, she hardly involves herself with the boys any longer. The only time they get to sit and interact properly is while Fahaad helps them with their assignments.

Then khalil, he's just quiet. Ever since months back, he has just made himself study each and every move fahaad does. Maybe because he  considers him a role model, or for another conspicuous reason.

"they're fine. how is uncle baffa and su khalifa? I miss them so much"

"They are all fine. I just wanted to hear your voice and know you are alright. I miss my baby so much." she cooed

"I miss you too mama. We'll be coming this weekend to visit you. I have a lot to tell you"

While their conversation drifted on, Khalil saw an opportunity to slide away and talk to his dad.

"daddy, I wanted to talk to you" he whispered, the nervousness quite clear in his voice.

"go ahead"

"not here. Alone"

Ibrahim was intrigued about his strange request, yet he nodded his head, signaling Fahaad to return the phone later.

Leading the way to the study room, he waited until Khalil calmed himself before asking what the problem was.

"it's ya fahaad. He lies and its not good"

Hearing this, Ibrahim's brows furrowed into a deep frown.

"what do you mean?"

"He-he says he is fine but he isn't. Mommy beats him everyday. She always insults him. When you travel, she makes him do all the work and when i want to help him, she beats him saying he is turning me into a worker. At first, ya mustapha used to support ya fahaad too, but he stopped because mommy told us that ya fahaad is stealing you and your money away from us till we are left on the street like the almajirais. I was scared to tell you because ya fahaad didn't want to. But then, he stopped crying when she beats him. He also started keeping quiet if i talk to him. He only talks during our home works, but other than that, he just stays silent. Do you know, he doesn't even call mommy mommy. She slapped him the first time he called her that, then when he said aunty, she shouted at him. Now all he does is call her mami at her back and nothing to her face. I got tired so-so that's why i told you. Please don't tell ya fahaad i told you. He'll get very angry at me"