Chapter 22

"Do I really have to meet them?" I voiced out my protest for the umpteenth time to aunty fa'i.

The news about my wedding traveled faster than any news had ever done in the camp. Some say they even knew of it before it was finalized.

Nonetheless, its been nearly six months since I was engaged and less than one month to the wedding.

Today was yet another day I had to meet with the senior women of the camp for God knows what.

"Its cultural for you to" she replied adjusting the shawl wrapped around my entire body. The traditional attire I usually see only married women wear, laffaya. Me in it just made me look puffier not more mature as it was intended.

"Fine. Do I have to wear this at least? I can't bear the heat" I huffed.

"Be patient. It won't take long. Just..." Aunty fa'i sighed turning me so I could read the worry on her face.

"Don't say anything in there."

"Won't you be coming with me?" I asked, the frown on my face deepening.

"I would love to, but this mother of the bride is too emotional to witness her child been scolded"

If possible, my frown only deepened. My thoughts went back to what she initially requested of me. Why should I keep mute if what they say opposes me?

"Faiza kin shirya ta?" (Faiza is she ready?) A woman in her forties interrupted us.

"Eh. Yanzu zan kawo ta" (yes. I'll be bringing her now)

I studied the woman as she spun around to leave' not before the accusatory glare she sent my way.

"Elhaam, you will hear a lot of negative things, especially in your case, I want you to just ignore them. They mustn't know your truth. Just let them believe what they wish. You can't please everyone with your words kinji?" Aunty fa'i worriedly advised.

I couldn't bring myself to say yes, neither could I just refuse. One thing for sure was, whatever had to be said against me had to be justified, or else I would defend myself.

So, I waited for whatever to happen so as not to answer her.

"Faiza ke muke jira fa. Ba ajiye mu kuka yi ba" the woman from earlier barged into the room her face clouded with annoyance. (Faiza we're waiting for you. You don't own us"

That was my cue to go.

"Please think over my words Elhaam" she pleaded for the last time as I was led away from the small room in the building.

I wonder why this was even a necessity. I had it in mind to search for the cultural way for a Somalian wedding last night, it slipped my mind. I'm pretty sure it differed from this.

"Ki kalle gaban ki" the woman spat shoving me a bit too hard. (Eyes front)

I resisted the urge to talk back, instead I walked on forth to the hall full of women all waiting for me.

As we walked in, I watched all faces until I took my seat at the very middle of them. All I got were glares from all directions, then the mumering began.

"Ba tada kunya. Sai kallon mutane takeyi a ido. Rashin kunya ne wannan ai" (she's shameless. How can she look at her elders in the eyes. That's shamelessness"

"Keh kiyi shuru kafin ta kai kara wurin Mai. Kin san alakar su tare" another woman warned. (You better keep quiet before she reports you to Mai. You know the relationship they hold)

"Toh ya za muyi fada in za ta kai Kara?" The first woman spat. (Then how are we to scold her if she's going to report?)

"Hm. Da yayan ta, da fahaad din, da Milan, duk ta lillibe su da camfin ta" (she has her brother, fahaad and even Mai under her charm) another mummered loud to my hearing.