Chapter 17

Elhaam's POV

"I don't like him" I grumbled side glancing at Fatima as we made our way to amina's house.

"You do. Then why are you always shy around him" she snickered with a grin playing on her lips.

That only intensified my frown
"I don't talk around him, doesn't necessarily mean I like him Fatima"

"But its a sign" she retorted.

Sometimes, I start to think how a nine year old can speak so freely about love, when I had not a clue about it.

"Why are we going to amina's house anyway?" I huffed, changing the topic.

"To greet her, why else? You really need to warm up around her. She's harmless, not crushing on ya Ayan and already married"

I rolled my eyes at her stupid assumption. I don't like amina because I choose not to like her. Besides, she never showed interest in Ayan so why should I bother.

"I find it strange why she was married off young. Did her mother not want her close anymore?"

Fatima shrugged nervelessly, throwing a pebble into the air and perfectly catching it.

"Who knows. Mama said she'll tell me why when I grow up. Ask her, she knows"

Before I could think of a reply, we stood before her door, Fatima already knocking.

"Oh Allah! Fatima. Come inside. Its been long" she gushed.

Of course, forget about me.

"Elhaam, come inside, please. Feel at home. You're at your sister's house" she ranted.

It took me a whole lot not to correct her about or relationship. Instead, I gave a tight lipped smile and settled in the living room.

While the two chatted away in the kitchen, it gave me enough time to look around the state of the house.

It was a sample of the houses that urgently needed an intense renovation. The roof patches, in every corner of the room. If it was rainy season, the room, and everything inside it would be a mess.

Holes deep in the walls, the beaten up couches, you could feel the wood in it.

There was a TV, but I'm pretty sure it didnt work.

I felt a little bad. Our house wasn't in a bad condition as hers, yet ours was the one under certain constructions and not hers.

And geesi made it clear from which direction the houses were to start renovated. From my calculations, this house would be amongst the last. Which means, another year of this hardship.

Soon enough, Fatima sauntered out of the kitchen in fits of laughter over a joke shared or something, and amina was close behind.

"Elhaam, sorry I couldn't bring water. Actually, pure water din mu yau da safe ya kare. Murtala zai siyo in zai dawo" her sincere apologic voice came. (Actually our sachet water finished this morning. Murtala will buy some on his way home)

"Its okay. I'm not thirsty or hungry actually" I replied with a small smile.

"Guess what Elhaam? Ya amina is pregnant!" Fatima squealed, not even giving me a chance to answer her earlier question.

Wait...what!

Pregnant! At sixteen! Didnt she just get married last year.

I almost choked on the air I was breathing. I stared from the excited looking Fatima, to the hope striken expecting look on amina. I had no idea what to say.