chapter 4

8:57PM, Maiduguri state, 2000

Milan stared at the boy with calculating gaze, seeing the reason as to why his men brought him to their territory.

Even after committing a grave offense that would be punished for, they still impressed him for having sense to spare the kids

"That's thoughtful of you my boy. I totally understand your motive of refusal. But think of your sister. She's young and she needs a motherly figure in her life. I will give you a house, you get to choose anyone to be your motherly figure, even from my wives. If it makes you feel better, I'd personally take the responsibility of being your fatherly figure. I won't force you, but think about it" Milan softly elaborated.

The tone which he used surprised his men out of their wits. He never used it on anyone. Even after having twenty two children running around with ten wives to claim, he never showed that side of him to anyone except the two kids before him.

"Okay" a soft mumble came from elhaam's lips. She had to accept the offer. Her brother didn't see the need to, but she did. Ayan might pretend he can take care of her when she's just five, but what of him, who'd take care of him?

"What of you Ayan, do you agree?" Placing the attention back at the young lad.

After few seconds, his hesitant reply came "I agree"

"Good. I'd assign someone to show you your home while you freshen up. By 9:30, I'd have someone bring your food okay?"

"Okay" they chorused.

Taking short small steps into one amongst many mud houses here, Ayan felt relieved now they have somewhere to call home. Even if it's temporary, they still get to call it home.

Walking behind the old woman, she showed them the bedroom which had a little mattress leaning to the wall and a wooden closet opposite it, the bathroom which has enough space to bath, joined with a tap next by the wall and the little hole on the floor at the far corner, the small room which happened to be the kitchen; though nothing gave out the impression of a kitchen, it still was one, then the small room which is their living room. It had two sofas situated there, a beaten up three seater and a two seater.
It was a cozy little house for  just the two of them.

"Na tafi yanxu. Sai na kawo abincin ku"
(I'm going now. I'll be back with your food)

Before Ayan could reply, the old woman was out of sight.

"Walaal, i miss home and Aabe and maa" elhaam pouted.

"I know elhaam, I also do. But this is our new home" he softly muttered.

"Just you and me?"

"Just you and me."

"Go and check the bathroom for water, do your ablution and come let's pray" he added.

True to milan's words, after their Salah and a few minutes, the old woman appeared by their door holding a tray of food for the two.

***

"Walaal, wake up" elhaam shook her brother occasionally to get him up. It was a little past 2AM in the morning.

"What is it elhaam?" He groggy replied

"I can't sleep" she muttered.

He knew why she couldn't sleep, she's had enough on their journey here. But he'd seem selfish to just sleep and leave her alone.

"Okay, I'll play with your hair, that always helps right?"

She bobbed her head in a nod, gently placing her head on his laps.