chapter 1

12:45AM, outskirts of Gombe state, 2000

"Aabe we've been walking for hours. Where are we going?" An exhausted 12 year old Ayan whined.

Indeed it's been hours since the family started wandering, and seeing as no houses were at close sight, they'd have to keep on moving.

"Ayan don't worry. We'll get there soon" shaahid consoled for the umpteenth time, adjusting his half asleep 5 year old daughter from one shoulder to another.

For sure his wife knew not to speak her thoughts of worry. They are in a foreign country  with kids. They have to look for a place to stay. They know no one and are currently out of money.

At the situation they're in, she's starting to regret the choice of leaving their country Somalia, to come over and try looking for her 'family'.

If for once this 'family' cared about her wellbeing, they wouldn't have thrown her out like she meant nothing but trash.

Pushing aside her thoughts, she pulled her son closer to her and scooted closer to her husband. At least she has her real family with her.

"Aabe, why did we leave Somalia again?" Ayan asked, pushing himself to keep strong for the sake of his parent.

"We couldn't stay there my boy. We have to meet your real origin. Here in Nigeria you'll meet your grandparents, cousins, uncles and aunties. You'll love them."

"But Aabe, if they wanted to meet us, they'd have come over to look for us in somalia" he tried reasoning.

"Yes my boy. But if all your relatives should board a plane to come see us, the expenses would be too much. We are lesser than them in number, so our expense is more affordable"

"But Aabe, now that we are here, your money is finished from plane tickets and the bus we took to reach here"

"Who told you my money is finished? I saved a lot to suffice my prince and princess. After all I'm the king"

He knew his son was sharper than he could trick. No doubt, Ayan immediately knew his father was bluffing.

He overheard his dad pleading with the bus conductor about their insufficient money and the urgent need to go to gombe. Though he saw no need in coming to gombe, but who was he to talk.

"Shaahid I think we should rest. Ayan is too tired to move on" Aamina, who kept quiet since the start of the journey decided to intercept noticing how drained her child was getting second by second.

Yes, her girl was sleeping on her father's shoulder, but what of Ayan, he has been walking a distance beyond his capability.

"Yes. I think you are right. It's just not safe around here. It's past midnight and we are surrounded by trees. Wild animals could anytime pop out or armed robbers"

He was tired, no doubt about that. But the need to put his family's safety first, superseded that of his tiredness

"Don't worry. Put trust in Allah. He'll protect us from any harm"

That did it. The mention of his Rabb lowered the insecure feeling. Soon, they found a tree closest to the road, lay a few mats they brought along, and drifted off to sleep closely around each other.

***

"Maa, Aabe wake up. Its time for subh" Ayan shoke his parents realising it's close to dawn break. They have to pray and continue their journey. Hopefully they'll get there today and get something to eat.

"Elhaam, wake up my princess let's pray"Shaahid pried his daughter off him, trying to wake her up.

The small child squirmed and tossed mumbling incoherent words before finally fluttering her eyes open.