Chapter 24

"Where are the caterers? Why are they late? You! Stop snooping around and do your work" The event planner hired for the wedding ranted for what felt like the thousandth time.

One look at the scene, one would know the grandest wedding was to take place.

No one has been brought to the camp from outside for an excuse as silly as a wedding, yet it was a first.

Inside the many tents temporarily set for the wedding, Elhaam was seated on a chair surrounded by girls of different ages chatting briskly amongst each other.

"She looks so beautiful" one gushed adjusting the position of her child on her laps.

"They make a perfect couple. I mean, He's so handsome and she's not even Nigerian" another added.

"What did you expect? I always knew they'd end up together" one smugly commented.

The tormoil going on in Elhaam's mind was yet another thing entirely.

Out there, her brother was giving her off to his best friend. Was she really doing the right thing?

Was there even time to go back on her decision?

Would she be happy?

The speed at which questions kept popping up in her head went in sync with her accelerated heartbeat.

Its okay. Everything will be alright. It just has to be! She chanted repeatedly in a low tone.

Engrossed in her thought, she was brought back to reality by the gently tug on the shawl covering her entire self.

"Yasir bari" (Yasir stop it) Amina scolded her three years old son.

"Bari mana. Ina yayan ka?" (Stop it. Where is your elder brother?) She added forcing him with her.

"Yana wurin baba" (He's with baba) he replied.

"Shima dai murtala maiko ya daga mata nauyin yara sai ya batta da dan karamin" (Instead of murtala to lift the burden of the kids, he left the little one with her) mufeedah scorned

"Ya Elhaam Mai ya faru?" (Ya Elhaam what's wrong) For the first time, fatima spoke with worry laced in her voice noticing the scowl on Elhaam's exposed face.

The single question clawing every attention to the two.

"What do you mean 'meh ya faru' fatima. She's nervous mana. Its normal for brides" amina scoffed.

"I don't think nervousness will bring a scowl to someone's face ya amina" fatima replied.

"Su amina manya. The way you were so nervous on your wedding, we thought you'd pass out" Firdausi chuckled.

"See us now, all married, kanuwata elhaam is joining us..." Mufeedah started

"Mufee and fiddy, there was a time you crushed on her brother ooo" halima interupted busting into a fit of laughter, soon everyone joined.

"Ladi meh haka!" Mufee scolded at the lady who rushed in rather so rudely interrupting the memories.

"Na kawo gulma" (I'vs got news) she eagerly whispered in a suspensive tone.

"Toh start talking"

"They never do jere for amarya ooo. Mai just dey shout at hajiya amarya now. He even talk am name. He say, "faiza". The thing dey sugar me"

"Ikon Allah. Mai never called aunty fa'i with her name..."Amina absentmindedly muttered

"Dan Allah! Even after having two wives after her? What do they call the two new brides?" Firdausi mused