Chapter 16

The next morning came in a blur. The awkwardness still heavily stiff in the atmosphere.

Stepping out of the room, Ayan stared at fahaad's laying form on the couch wondering how he could sleep comfortably on the already beaten up couch.

But there wasn't any ulterior way. He couldn't compel his sister to sleep on the couch, while fahaad on the bed. His mother always treated her guests before herself or any of the family. But that wasn't the case, it was either Elhaam or fahaad.

He felt guilty and selfish at the same time

"Oh, you're awake?" Fahaad mumbled, breaking the train of thought from Ayan.

"Uhh...yes. Actually its almost fajr time so..."

"Hm...I couldn't sleep" fahaad stated quietly, unconsciously intensifying ayan's guilt.

"It most be the couch. I'm so sorry we couldn't offer you anything more comforting"

"No, no, its not that. I was just wondering, how long have you been here?"

Giving a thought before he replied "close up to a year now."

The petrified look on fahaad's face could not be spotted by Ayan due to the dim light as the sun was just rising.

A year? That's much. But nothing compared to what they'll be spending there, probably for eternity!

"Come on. Let's go to the mosque" Ayan summoned, leading the way just like the previous day.

***

Over breakfast, the uncomfortable silence echoed through the house. What used to be a chattering meal of two, managed to be a silent meal of three.

"Are you staying at home today or hanging out with Fatima?" Ayan broke the silence having his last spoons of food.

"I'm staying at home. Aunty fa'i is coming." She quietly mumbled, unusual to her normal long replies

"I think I'd be coming home early. I'm not going to school today, so immediately after meeting geesi, we'd head home"

She glanced over at fahaad who had his head ducked focused on his nearly empty plate.

"Okay."

Soon after, the closely teenage boys set off in the direction of the main building.

As always, the first view inside the house was young maids bustling here and there with chores in mind. A now normal sight to Ayan.

"Assalamu alaikum" Ayan greeted stepping into Milan's chambers

"Wa alaikumu salaam my boy. How are you?" He motioned for them to come closer

"Alhamdulillah. Em...about fahaad?" He nervously hinted

"What about him?" Milan perplexed

"He isn't well settled. No accommodation and registration into the camp"

" oh. Lemme get someone to do that right away"

With few orders, Milan got one of his men to fully register fahaad in.

"What is your full name?"

"Fahaad Ibrahim Suleiman"

" how old are you?"

"Eleven"

"Okay. You'll start attending medical classes with Ayan from tomorrow"

At this, ayan's face contoured in bewilderment and fahaad's into a frown.