⟨⟨ ¹⁸ ⟩⟩

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇɪɢʜᴛᴇᴇɴ
18

It had taken a justifiable amount of convincing for Louis to get Elora to join him in Doncaster

It had taken a justifiable amount of convincing for Louis to get Elora to join him in Doncaster. The holidays are meant to be cherished with family and she dreaded the idea of imposing on that but he assured her that another female in their household wouldn't be too much of a shift in atmosphere. He informed her that it was his intention to leave that Friday in order to spend as much time with them as possible - which just spurred on a flurry of nervous rambles. Trying to convince the girl that she didn't need to bring presents was a futile act so he begrudgingly agreed to join her on the frantic shopping trip.

That particular endeavor was probably one of Louis' favourite experiences with Elora yet, although he had a strong suspicion that spending the holidays with her would soon top it. He was used to the sight of hurried Christmas shopping, every year at least one of his family members had to rush to get gifts, but his friend's level of desperation reached new levels of entertainment. Constantly reassuring her that his siblings would adore the presents didn't seem to quell her anxiety, even though he was certain of the fact. The thought and consideration that she had ploughed into their individual gifts was admirable and simply reminded him of how that woman had snuck her way into his heart.

It was on the three hour car ride to his home town that he found out why she was so particularly nervous. Her confession that she'd never spent Christmas with any family other than her own warmed his heart and he couldn't help the satisfaction that swelled in his chest at being the first to share the experience with her. Louis had spent far too many holidays away from his family because of the band so he was thrilled to return home for that one – it was just made far better with Elora by his side.

He spent their travels rambling on about his various Christmas and birthday memories, which morphed into retellings of the tales of his childhood in the small town. The nagging reminder that it was customary for a girlfriend to be in the position of his platonic companion kept attempting to shove its way to the forefront of his mind but he dutifully ignored it. He would not ruin their time together with anxieties about any possible implications that could come with her joining him for the family-orientated season; deciding instead that it was perfectly customary for a friend to invite a friend to their family-exclusive Christmas.

"So then it kind of became a tradition," he finished off with a fond smile, facing the window but seeing the endeared grin on her lips out the corner of his eye.
"Will I then be able to see the customary dress-up then?"
He smirked, "Oh you're definitely going to be a model."
"I'll be a fairy princess and you can be the goblin servant."
Letting out a bark of laughter, he rolled his eyes before adamently defending his role as the noble king - to which she snorted and retorted, "You can be the king's ass."
"Is that a remark on my arse?"
A cheeky grin took over her face as she rose to the occasion of his banter, "No, it's a statement of your positioning in the hierarchy."