⟨⟨ ᴏɴᴄᴇ ɪɴ ᴀ ʟɪғᴇᴛɪᴍᴇ ⟩⟩

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-ᴏɴᴇ
Once in a Lifetime

Louis Tomlinson was taking everything one day at a time

Louis Tomlinson was taking everything one day at a time. Admittedly, life had been a bit rough the past three years but he had decided that the only way forward was through sheer force of will. He was fortunate to be surrounded by inspirational people who were always willing to encourage him to crawl forward on tough days. Granted, some of them were not currently there to bolster him but their wise words remained engraved on the walls of his mind. 

His path felt like a barely trodden footway winding through a craggy mountainside but he clung on with raw hands and panting breaths. 2017 had been filled with the repercussions of 2016, leaving Louis bedraggled and nihilistic. Fortunately for the teetering singer, his support system had been a tad too amazing and they shoved him from the darkest recesses in which he had crept.

Walking through the bleak streets of London, Louis attempted to view his surroundings with the hopefulness and exuberance he used to possess, but his heart panged vaguely instead. Logically, life would never return to what it once was and while he yearned for that idealism to filter his vision, he had to accept that the lightened weight upon his shoulders was as good as it would get. 
Crowds shuffled around him, focused on their phones, watches or the thoughts in their head but completely unaware that he was amongst them. The anonymity was something unfathomable to that day, yet a blessing he begrudgingly thanked the other lads for gifting him. It had taken far too long for him to recognise the benefits of their hiatus but they slid into his periphery day by day. 

There was a lone camera trained on his movements but he was used to the occurrence and knew that he'd lose it soon enough. The X Factor would appreciate the publicity anyway; giving the public a taste of what was to come. It annoyed him how those thoughts permeated his consciousness throughout his day, as though the years of being aware of his public image had made it instinctive for him to consider the benefits and downfalls of every single thing he did. 

Gloriously, his reprieve came into sight and undecidedly his pace increased, a minuscule smile uplifting the corners of his lips. There was his beloved café which undoubtedly offered him the seclusion he seeked at all hours of the day. It had remained constant throughout his many years in London, despite the nostalgia which ached in his soul upon entrance, he was able to hide within its walls and ignore the memories for the sack of secrecy. 

Before he could grasp the handle of the artistically rustic door, the piercing call of his cellphone interrupted his determination. With a sigh, he pulled out the device and answered before entering the establishment. His voice was a murmur so as to not disturb the few customers but he listened carefully as Eleanor rattled off on the other end of the line. 
"Hey, baby," her sugary voice began, "I know you have the day off but I was wondering if we could meet up later. When we do could you please bring me a frappuccino? You know my order but in case you forgot it's—"
The usual details and notes followed, clouding his brain with their complexity, as he moved to the counter and smiled apologetically at the barista. Fortunately, it was a girl who had worked there for many years and her shock had worn down with his regularity. As he waited for his girlfriend to finish, the recollection of the first time he had met her floated to the forefront of his mind.