⟨⟨ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ sᴏ ʟᴏɴᴇʟʏ ⟩⟩

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ғɪᴠᴇ
To Be So Lonely

Adjusting to life without Elora Rayne proved to be a more formidable feat than Louis had let himself imagine

Adjusting to life without Elora Rayne proved to be a more formidable feat than Louis had let himself imagine. Obviously, the loss of her radiant presence in his daily life was expected to be a shock but the true emptiness he experienced in her absence ached within his being. The day that she left he was still swimming in the river of denial, aloof to all reality that he may never see her again - because they had promised. They promised to see each other again, even if it could only be in a few months. Louis had the money to fly out whenever he liked but everyone agreed that she should be allowed some to readjust herself.

Keeping himself from chasing after her was the difficult part. He didn't understand why he couldn't have just flown down with her. Except he did, his heart broken mind was just stubborn and idiotically illogical - which is why he had three singers surrounding him at all hours. It felt a little bit like house arrest except they were forcing him outside the confines of his home into the wild streets that were perceivably duller without Elora's child-like entrancement at every sight.

The boys had reasoned that he needed to keep busy until he felt ready to address what was happening in his life. He wasn't sure how he'd be able to recognise his readiness if he was so busy avoiding his issues but he wasn't about to refute their logic. It was better that way, he told himself, if he just allowed them to drag him along and made sure he didn't fall into a spiral.

The issue was just that they all had their own lives and obligations, most of them had promised their families that they'd return home for a bit at the start of the hiatus. If they didn't have familial obligations, they were planning backpacking expeditions (Niall) or running from their problems just as much as Louis was (Liam).

Whilst they were all sad about the loss of Elora, she had managed to impact each of them in her own odd way, no one truly felt throbbing pain of her empty space like Louis. Harry was close but that was because he was instinctively an emotional personal and had the niggling problem of being slightly, adorably infatuated with her. Theoretically, that awkward mishap should have caused a rift to form between them but they were best friends - Louis was even his legal guardian for a while - and understood each other on an intimate level.

Harry saw how much his older companion was struggling when Elora left and took it upon himself to temporarily move in for a bit. Louis had argued petulantly but eventually Harry's copious tiredly raised eyebrows and unimpressed expressions got him to resignly agree and accept his company. The curly-haired man cooked for him because, despite his age and years of independence, he was still a disaster in the kitchen. He also watched a confusing mixture of football, reruns of old TV shows he was pretty certain Louis hated and crime documentaries that made him flinch. When they weren't living in adorable domesticity, Harry was dragging the sombre idiot along with him to gatherings and shopping trips or getting him absolutely wasted.