⟨⟨ sᴛɪʟʟ ⟩⟩

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-ᴇɪɢʜᴛ
Still

The sudden ringing of her phone jolted Elora from her dazed thoughts as she was reminded of its presence beside her

The sudden ringing of her phone jolted Elora from her dazed thoughts as she was reminded of its presence beside her. After days of forced silence, she had taken the device off of 'Do Not Disturb' mode and the influx of messages and notifications had been overwhelming. She waited for the seizure her phone underwent to pass before she would attempt to wade through it all but at the sight of so many messages from Louis, the guilt clenched her heart and she ran away from the confrontation once again. It was sad that she'd be missing Harry's brief stopover in London but he promised to make time for her now that things would be calming down for him.

"Elora Rayne speaking," she answered, hoping that it wasn't someone who would ask about her sudden disappearance.
"Hi Elora, this is Allie Wine from Pegasus Publishing," the voice responded, "You submitted a manuscript that we would really like to talk to you about."
The feeling that flooded her being was one she had never expected to experience. She had hoped, dreamed and yearned for it but refused to anticipate it. Standing there in the middle of her childhood home, sweatpants and oversized jersey her only armour against the unbridled hope that brimmed in her being, it seemed impossible that it could be the call of her dreams.

After a hesitant confirmation that she was available to chat, an hour-long conversation occurred. Phrases like 'love to work with you', 'editing process' and 'possible readings' floated in the background as they discussed the semantics. It was difficult to absorb all the information being thrown at her and all the concessions they had to consider if she was going to sign with them. The entire process felt surreal as she sat there, writing down notes and reminders so that she could look through them afterwards, but largely because she needed it to keep her attention. The fluttery feeling glittering in her heart left her breathless as weightlessness spread throughout her limbs, she feared briefly that she may never float back to the surface.

The house was empty as she sashayed about, flicking the kettle on and pulling out her mug as she listened to the ending commentary from Allie, all about organising when they could meet up to begin the process. Just as she finished speaking, the doorbell buzzed out of nowhere. Elora was certain no one had been expected but she moved to the door anyway.
"Yes, I've flown back home for a few days and am currently finishing up some commitments but I'll be back soon so we can meet next week at your..." her words faded upon opening the door and catching sight of her surprise guest. Allie continued talking amicably, something about contacting her further with more details about something or other but it faded to fuzz as Elora zeroed in on the luminescent blue eyes staring at her. Her prior breathlessness returned as she froze, struggling to comprehend the exuberant joy of her news and the panic fighting to surface at the sight of Louis Tomlinson at her doorstep. In South Africa.

"Yeah, uh, Allie," she mumbled, "You can just email me any further information, I just need to go now."
Their farewells were vague and unconceived as Elora remained transfixed on the man before her. Her breath slowly returned in trickles that left her stuttering but that may have just been his sudden appearance. After quite the wait on Louis' part, he decided it was probably best for him to instigate some action.
"Hey," his greeting was awkward, "I think we need to talk... again."
The reference made her wince but she shuffled aside, gesturing for him to cross the threshold and allowing herself the opportunity to correct her breathing and attempt coherent thought.