⟨⟨ sᴛᴇᴀʟ ᴍʏ ɢɪʀʟ ⟩⟩

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғᴏᴜʀᴛᴇᴇɴ
Steal My Girl

"'The only thing that sustains one through life is the consciousness of the immense inferiority of everybody else

"'The only thing that sustains one through life is the consciousness of the immense inferiority of everybody else.'"

"What?"

Louis Tomlinson stared unblinkingly at the girl standing before him, his crystalline eyes shining with the confusion that had become commonplace with the existence of Elora Rayne. She grinned widely, clearly proud of herself for the abrupt greeting she had slapped her guest with.
"It's my new favorite quote," she announced gleefully as she moved aside, allowing Louis to enter her apartment, "I recently picked up Oscar Wilde's short stories that he wrote for his children and it has so many gems."

The older gentleman waited patiently as he followed her into the kitchen where she promptly switched on the kettle, hoping that his mind would follow her words at some point. Unfortunately, Louis was growing rather used to feeling uncultured whenever he spent time with the Elora - and her quirk of that day reinforced those feelings.
"I have so many questions," he finally piped up as she placed two mugs on the counter and busied herself with preparing their tea.
"Well," she explained, "I started reading a collection of short stories written by Oscar Wilde, an amazingly talented man, but these stories were basically his version of bedtime stories - so they teach his children life lessons, as most children stories do. However, because he's Oscar Wilde, they're amazing and they have so many little lines and quotes that I have an insatiable need to share, one of them being my initial quote."
Louis blinked at the mug she had stretched out towards him and took the ceramic into his grasp gingerly, processing her explanation tediously before he took a sip of the beverage and nodded.

"Oh, is she on about those stories again?" a gruff voice grumbled from behind him and Louis nearly jumped in the air. 'Nearly' is purely politeness, he practically joined the Maasai tribe in his shock. Raucous, uncontrollable laughter tumbled out of Elora's mouth until she was gasping for breath as Louis skirted around the kitchen, swearing and wiping the boiling tea off his skin.

Once the chaos had settled and Elora's face was only slightly flushed, Louis turned around nervously, remaining highly confused as to why there was a drowsy, lanky man leaning against the wall of the entryway.
Coughing out a final giggle, she revealed, "Sorry, you kind of messaged me about coming over before I could inform you that my room mate is home. It was a lost cause when I realised that I couldn't kick him out in time for your arrival."
"I resent that you assume you can kick me out of my own home," the anonymous man mumbled, "You're the parasite here."
Louis worried briefly about his disrespectful words before glancing at Elora and seeing her roll her eyes with a fond smirk. She turned her attention to the awkward man and shrugged, "I'm sorry, I would've told you but I spent too long trying to convince him to leave. It obviously didn't work."