⟨⟨ ᴅᴇғᴇɴᴄᴇʟᴇss ⟩⟩

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-sᴇᴠᴇɴ
Defenceless

Elora knew she was being a coward

Elora knew she was being a coward. She didn't need her Psychology degree to enlighten herself on the unhealthy coping mechanisms she was establishing. She didn't even need basic intuition. It was pretty basic toxic behaviour. 
What she told herself though, was that it would be a lot more toxic if she didn't do what she was doing so might as well choose the lesser of two evils.

The logic seemed plausible when she whispered into the fluffy duvet she had missed so dearly. It smelled of home and warmth in a way that she tried not to associate with Louis because no, now was not the time for yearning. Now was the time to figure out what on earth she was going to do with herself. She couldn't run forever and she didn't really want to, to be honest. The conflict of her heart and mind was not fairing well considering they both wanted the same thing, it was just the recesses of insecurity that somehow managed to scream louder than the both. 

A knock on her door surprised her from the battle born imagery filling her mind. Turning around with furrowed eyebrows, her shock was expanded at the sight of dark waves fluttering in the air as they appeared from the doorway.
"What are you doing here?" she asked excitably as she shot up in bed, the duvet falling to her lap as her sister grinned in greeting.
"Well I did have a planned visit home for quite some, I was just surprised to discover you were joining me."
Elora smiled sheepishly as she moved closer to sit beside her, the bed sinking under her weight much akin to the fading of her smile as Kiera's concerned face appeared.
"What are you doing here, babes?" she sighed, "I thought you were in the middle of your apprenticeship in London?"
"Just needed to see home for a bit." 

The raised eyebrows were clear indicators of disbelief, which was to be expected considering the general understanding that Elora's excitement over relocating to England was far from faded. She exhaled loudly, slumping into her sister's frame with the resignation to her current situation weighing down her body. The troubled look on her face must have been significant enough that she was struggling with more than simple cold feet because immediately Kiera moved to shuffle her way under the covers and pulling the younger girl to cuddle against her. Whilst typically an affectionate person, it wasn't usual for Kiera to snuggle with her thus Elora knew she wouldn't be leaving until the full story was told. 

"You know, roughly three years ago, when I was first in England and we met up for the lunch. The day I introduced you to Louis Tomlinson?"
Her chuckle was disbelieving, "You say that as though it's an easily forgettable occasion."
Elora's responding laugh was strained, causing the arm wrapped around her to tighten. She pressed closer into her sister's chest and sighed once more. It was strange to realise how extensive their story was but she knew that every detail needed to be shared or else she might collapse under the weight of it all. 

So Elora told her it all. She explained how their friendship had grown in intimacy over those three months and how Louis had been everything she needed to prove that England was the place for her. The memories of late-night drunk calls, album launch parties and wintery Christmases with large families flew out of her mouth, spoken of with the fondness of nostalgic dreams. She told her about befriending the boys and the rumours that they joked about, the dynamics that shifted and the teasing that occurred. The pain of realising how much she wished she didn't have to leave resurfaced and she explained how it had ached to say goodbye to some of her favourite people. She even mentioned how Vera and Simon had faired with the boys and how Thomas didn't believe her when she told him. Dredging up the recollection of heartbreaking farewells and promises of future visits simply reminded her of how much had changed from that time. It lead to an explanation of how her relationship with Louis faded whilst she maintained contact with Niall and Harry and how his eventual abandonment had hurt so much more than she ever acknowledge. She told her how she had written the letter and how she had broken up with Richard upon realising that not receiving a response hurt more than leaving him would have.