⟨⟨ ᴍᴏʀᴀʟ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ sᴛᴏʀʏ ⟩⟩

ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪʀᴛʏ-ғɪᴠᴇ
Moral of the Story

"You know, I just think the distance has been really great for me

"You know, I just think the distance has been really great for me."
"You did not just say that."

The baffled expression on Elora's face made Niall laugh before mimicking her, "'You know, I just think the distance has been like... really great for me, you know?"
Her offended expression made him laugh harder as she jokingly slapped his arm, complaining that she did not sound like that. His cackles grew louder with his head thrown back, eyes squinted shut as a grin grew on her face in response. There was something incredibly freeing about Niall's laughter, especially when you were able to witness it emanate from every part of his being.

"Okay, stop," she whined, her grin unrelenting, "You know what I mean." 
Niall raised his eyebrow, taking a sip of his Guinness and allowing her a moment to read his expression before his incredulity was verbalised, "No, I really don't. Please explain because the last time you two had this much physical distance, you didn't talk for two years."
"But it's different this time," she leaned forward in earnest, "We talk even more than normal now, I think it's because we're so aware of what went down last time. Obviously, it's only a week away and not indefinitely this time, but we actually addressed our fears and how we wanted to handle times of distance now that we're seriously understanding the weight of our friendship."

"Friendship?"
Elora rolled his eyes at the raised eyebrows, "Yes, you know that."
"I'm just saying, it sounds like a whole lot of relationship-typical effort for just friends."
"Come on, Nialler, you know it's not like that. We've just agreed to be a lot more open about our insecurities and be vulnerable about our fears; long-distance just happened to be a shared one so we wanted to handle it proper this time 'round."

Niall sighed, his brunet hair shifting as he leaned forward, "Love, you realise you just spent the past thirty minutes telling me that it was definitely more than that."
Her gaze flickered away from his, unwilling to accept his truth despite having resigned herself to it weeks ago. The thing was that the distance had really been immensely helpful. Louis and Elora had spoken more regularly than any time before, updating one another with all the mundane thoughts and occurrences whilst not seeing him physically allowed Elora to delude herself into a distance from her feelings. 

Leaning back against the couch in his living room, her eyes roamed over the area, catching on the large photo hanging over his gleaming piano. The monochrome shades of his décor reminded Elora of the classic celebrity interior design but, for some reason, Niall made it his own. Perhaps it was his bouyant personality that colourised the traditionally dull appearance.
"Look," she eventually exhaled, calling Niall's attention to return to her face, "last time things were different but not really all that much."
"Yeah, this time at least you're admitting you're in love with him."
Rolling her eyes, she continued, "You're not wrong but that's precisely why I can't treat it any different from how I am currently."
"What do you mean?"
"I'm at a higher risk of getting hurt now because I've acknowledged my feelings for him."
"Elora, darling, you're going to need to explain yourself better."