13

Harry

After Louis gave me an encouraging kiss, I made my way up to the younger Tomlinson that needed my help at the moment. Once I reached Oli's bedroom door, I pressed the doorbell-like button that triggers the light to flash in his room. We installed it not long after the incident that occurred a couple of weeks ago.

Oli's door opened slowly and I saw his expression light up slightly once he realised it was me standing there. He gestured for me to walk inside.

I watched as he sat himself on the foot of his bed and I pulled his desk chair over, sitting on it backwards. I rested my elbows on the back of the chair and looked over Oli's stature. Trying to weigh out how to approach this conversation.

"I'm guessing Louis told you about my results today." Oli signed which made me nod. He hung his head slightly.

I felt bad for the kid. He doesn't deserve to lose his hearing the way he is. At least, in my situation, I lost all of my hearing at once and don't remember what things sound like anymore. I tapped his knee in order to get his attention before signing to him.

"I know you probably don't want to talk about this anymore so I'm going to talk to you and if you want to put your input in, you can at any time." Oli just motioned for me to carry on.

"Right now, you don't feel lucky. You probably feel like this is the worst news you could ever imagine yourself to receive. I understand that and I would feel the same way if I were in your shoes. But the way I see it, you are one of the lucky ones." I hesitated and gaged Oli's expression. He looked very confused.

"I lost all of my hearing when I was very young. I got sick and that sickness took my ability to hear away. I wasn't saddened by that fact. I was just living my normal life. Not being able to hear my mother or my sister laugh at my jokes or not being able to hear the lyrics of the songs everyone was raving about." I smiled sadly.

"I've only just recently began to feel the want of hearing things again. I know this is going to sound cheesy but, I wish that I could hear your brother sing. I wish I could hear his laugh and when he's talking to himself while focused on some random task. I even wish I could hear you! When you two bicker over small things. I wish I could experience all of that. And that's where you are lucky, Oli. You have gotten to experience loved ones and music and birds chirping and random conversations made by people on the street." I saw Oli slowly start to smile.

"You will always have those memories. Whether it may be your brother yelling at you to pick up your dirty socks or whether it's him telling you he loves you. You have been given the gift of hearing, even if it's been more difficult than other people, for 15 years. I'm slightly envious of you but I've also realised that we are lucky to be here. Lucky that we are able to breathe properly and move properly and express emotions properly. Yes, we may not be able to hear, but we have so much more to be grateful for." I squeezed Oli's knee gently.

"I officially want to be the first one to welcome you to the deaf community! You are in it 100% now man!" I signed excitedly which made Oli giggle. I could tell that he was feeling better after my rant by the huge grin on his face.

"I think I needed someone to tell me that. I'm glad that I had you to do it. Thank you." I brushed off his statement and went in for a tight hug. Once we both pulled back, we decided to talk about Valerie for a few minutes since he wasn't able to talk about it with Louis. Something about feeling weird talking to his 'parent'. I was just happy he wanted to talk to me in the first place.