20: SANCTION

And just like I thought, I will not be receiving the sleep that I wanted. After witnessing that shit yesterday night, I just can’t stay still. I heaved a sigh while my eyes were locked to the torn skin of the clown, the smell of ammonia is still in the surrounding, but it was now faint, unlike before.

“It was me.” I didn’t turn nor move from my place. After all, I already knew it. “I’m sorry… for scaring you yesterday,” she softly whispered.

“I’m fine, Chi.” But what makes me befuddled is the way she acted last night and the way she is acting now.

Kung hindi bumukas ng RV kagabi, hindi ko aakalain na si Chi iyon. She was fitted as a bozo last night, but she’s now acting like as a complete human, as if she wasn’t infected.

“Does Cara know?” I asked. This time I was able to turn my head to her. Chi’s downcast eyes and curled lips hit me in a sense that I am starting to notice things that I’ve been neglecting to see back then.

That’s right. Ever since we met their group, Chi has been wearing a jacket or sometimes just a plain long sleeve shirt. I thought it was due to the windy weather, and it has never crossed my mind that she was actually infected.

“Ikaw pa lang ang may alam—”

“No, it’s Mommy and me! Tada!” Parehas kaming nagulat ni Chi nang yakapin ako ni Spencer mula sa likod, nang kurutin ko ang baiwang niya ay umayos siya at nakayukong humingi ng tawad kay Chi. “Naglalaro ako ang Flappy Bird kagabi no’ng nakita kong gumagapang si Mommy. Ay, Ate Chi, do you want to see her video? It was hilarious!”

Saglit kaming natahimik ni Chi hanggang sa prumoseso sa utak ko ang sinabi n’ya, “You’re awake last night?”

“Yes.”

“You saw what Chi did?”

“Then why aren’t you surprised?”
“Because I always see her every night doing that?”

I don’t why, but my hand automatically moved on its own and slapped the back of Spencer’s head. This stupid kid doesn’t really know to inform everyone about the information he has. And because of that, I am starting to think that maybe he knows what to do to bring back everyone to their natural state.

“Kung alam mo, bakit hindi mo sinabi sa kanila ang sikreto ko?” Tanong ni Chi kay Spencer.

“It was not my secret to tell.”

“Still… That was dangerous—what if I bit one of you?”

“But you didn’t, Ate Chi. But one thing is for sure, and your bozo blood is only active during the night.” And when Spencer left, we were filled with a deafening silence. To be honest, I don’t know what to react. It was only the six of us, and it is just heartbreaking knowing that one of us is bound to die.

“Tell it to them…” I whispered.

“I will.”

Nang bumalik kami sa RV ay bumungad agad sa akin ang pagmumukha ni Spencer na nakaharap sa refrigerator. Balak ko sanang hilahin siya upang tigilan niya ang paglantak sa mga chocolate nang marinig ko ang mabibigat na yabag ng paa ni Cara papunta kay Chi.

“Is that true? Are you really infected, Chi?” Cara asked.

I was puzzled at first until my eyes laid once again on Spencer. And as I approach him, my eyes darkened when I grabbed the top of his head, “I thought… it was not your secret to tell, moron?”

Mas maamo pa sa tuta siyang lumingon sa akin dahilan upang lalo akong mainis sa inaakto niya, “They asked me what are you two blabbering outside. Sinagot ko lang naman,” sagot niya sa tanong ko.

“Nandidilim ang paningin ko sa’yo. Lumayo-layo ka sa akin.”

“Hawak mo ako, Mommy.”

“Stop,” Parker warned. I grimaced to Spencer and drifted my attention back to the Ramirez sisters.

“I’m sorry…” Chi mumbled.

Cara frustratingly bit her lip as she let out a sigh, “Since when?”

“Since the beginning.” We all looked at her with surprise. The beginning? Is she talking about the start of the apocalypse? But that was ages ago, and she should be a complete bozo right now, if I’m not mistaken.

Chi started to remove her jacket, and what made us almost vomit was half of her body. Her left arm was black as charcoal, it has also cracked, and the veins were nearly popped, and it was crimson in color. It was unsightly. She somehow noticed our reaction, which made her put the jacket back.

“It was a scratch at first.” Chi told us while pointing her arm that was now covered with a jacket, “I was talking to the librarian because Cara was supposed to bring her book outside when she suddenly began to change into something hideous. At first, I was befuddled until her nails sunk into my arm. And that made run towards to Cara and Tyler’s direction.”

“Then why didn’t you tell us?” Tyler exclaimed.

“It was a scratch, and I never thought the infection could only be transmitted through a scratch.”

“Kahit na! You have time to explain—”

“I’m s—scared to die…”

None of us were able to talk. Cara pulled Chi and warmly hugged her, “You’re not going to die…”

“Parker, get the syringe below your bed. We will do everything to cure Chi.” Tyler commanded. His eyes drifted to mine when suddenly the ground suddenly trembled, “Can you run towards the next city? Check the tower in that place—”

“Let me do that—”

“Stay here with Chi, Parker. You are more knowledgeable when it comes to medicine, and I will be careful.” I told him. Parker heaved a sigh and gave me the walkie-talkie and my cellphone while Spencer gave me the katana.

“Contact us with your walkie-talkie if something happened, okay?”

I nodded and immediately scooted to the next city. The welcome sign of Gethsemane welcomed me, the surrounding was so unusual and was quiet which made me realize that I should be more cautious. One thing I’ve learned in this apocalypse, the subtler the place, the more dangerous it is.

And when my eyes saw the cellular tower, I checked for the signal on my cellphone. The signal bar was weak, but it still has three bars out of five. I used that chance to ask for my brother’s help, even though it was a one in a fifty chance. I am still hoping for his help.

I was about to report with the use of a walkie-talkie when I heard someone speaking.

“Target Laodicea. Asking for permission to release the bomb, Commander.”

“Permission granted.”

#