35: ALPHEUS CITY

“Amira, are you fine? Kanina ka pang namumutla simula noong makita kita.” I offered Cara a small smile and laid my back to the bed. I’m so selfish right now, and I can’t even have the nerves to tell them what I just did.

Parker and the others had been monitoring me for hours. They stopped blending with others just to watch me because when Cara saw me, I’ve been looking so helpless.

Marahan kong pinikit ang mga mata ko at pinangtaklob ang kumot sa aking buong katawan, “Maayos lang ako. Pumunta na lang kayo sa museum dahil baka hinahanap na nila kayo—”

“Alex and Peter already arranged it. Just rest for now,” Parker said. I frustratingly bit my lip, sa totoo lang ay kating-kati na akong sabihin sa kanila ang ginawa ko pero alam kong pipigilan nila ako sa pagpunta ko sa tatay ko.

Kailangan kong kausapin si Daddy at pigilan s’ya sa mga binabalak n’ya pa. Ayokong may kitilin pa siyang buhay tao man o hindi, ayokong may matulad pa kay Senator Revileza o kaya’y kay Chi.

“Cara… What do you think is Eden?” I asked.

I heard her heaving a sigh, and then I felt a weight on the mattress, “Based on my researches, it is a Paradise that everyone is earning. That’s why some apostles wanted to go to Alpheus City and survive— no work and such, only freedom after their survival.”

I bitterly smiled behind the blanket covering my face. Paradise? What a shady scam. That place is no paradise for Apostles, and it’s a place worse than being killed in Alpheus City, a place for life-long torture—Hell.

“Mommy,” Spencer called. Puwersahan n’yang tinanggal ang kumot sa ‘king mukha at ang nakaaasar niyang ngiti ang bumungad sa akin kasabay nito ang pag-aabot niya sa akin ng isang Snickers.

“Anong gagawin ko r’yan?”

“When you’re hungry, grab a snickers?” I tried hard not to facepalm and appreciate his effort, and I ate the chocolate he gave me.

I’ve never been a fan of sweets like this. That’s why whenever he eats chocolates, I’m always hysterical. It is so sweet; how can they enjoy such an overkill?

“Okay ka na ba?”

Nilingon ko si Parker saka tumango, “Okay naman talaga ako.”

All of a sudden, the door burst open. Revealing a sweaty brother of mine, he was worried while holding his headgear in the arm.

“Is she awake?” He asked. But before anyone could reply, his eyes laid to mine. “You all need to go back. I bumped into Tyler kanina maging sa ibang security personnel. Hinahanap nila ang ibang apostles, may mahalaga raw na announcement.”

“Akala ko ba’y nagawan mo ng paraan—”

“That’s why I’m here. A group of guards is supposed to went to Katalina and the others’ room. Magtatakha na lang siguro sila kung wala sila hindi ba?” Alex argued, making Cara shut up.

I heaved a sigh and went to the bathroom to change clothes. After putting on the facemask, I exited the room. And together with Cara, we went to Nate and Niko’s place while Parker went to Tyler, especially that they belong in the same group.

The humongous hall was holding a capacity of few people. As the deafening murmurs conquered my ears, I felt something was wrong. Not all the apostles are present. Aside from that, I can see that our group is the only apostles who came from Besodiah. Tyler and Parker aren’t also here.

Then… It means…

“Good day, Apostles,” Mr. Samuel greeted. I frustratingly bit my lower lip, especially that I know where this is going— the announcement of the apostles who will go to Alpheus City. “The people called here are significant for my upcoming announcement…”