22: DOOM

As I drown myself in those eyes, I suddenly felt my limit as a human. I am frightened, and every inch and part of me is being devoured by a troublesome fear.

My mother’s crimson leering eyes stole the courage and bravery that I’ve been building since the beginning of this apocalypse, she’s a fearsome woman that no one in the family could lay a finger on her every sparring we’ve done, even my father couldn’t beat her.

She’s not just my Alex’s split-image, but she’s also the pride of the Nakamura Clan.

And seeing her as a guinea pig on a shitty experiment doesn’t make sense.

“Amira?” Cara’s voice dragged me back to reality. I looked at her curiously as I drifted my attention to the computer screen, a while ago, we were watching the video of my mother and now she’s deleting every data that the computer possesses.

“Anong ginagawa mo?” Tanong ko. Kinuha niya sa akin ang mga folder na hawak ko dahilan upang sumeryoso lalo ang kanyang mukha, saglit pa’y bumukas ang pinto kung saan nakita namin si Spencer na nag-mamarsta paputungo sa aming puwesto.

Nagulat na lamang ako nang higitin ni Cara ang bag ni Spencer at puwersahan na nilagay ro’n ang mga folder kahit na paulit-ulit na nag-rereklamo sa kanya si Spencer kesyo maiipit daw ang kanyang mga tsokolate dahil sa mga nilalagay ni Cara. Ngunit sa huli ay walang nagawa ang batang kasama namin.

I immediately covered their mouth when I heard faint voices outside, “Shut up. It might be bozos,” I whispered. Tyler and Parker are studying on Chi, so technically, it couldn’t be them.

“We need the data. Be serious, moron.”

“Tsk. I just wanted treats, malay ko bang ubos na ang mga chocolates sa vending machine.”

It was a voice of a man and a woman, and it seems that they needed the data about the experiment too. Cara and I both eyed Spencer who just shrugged at us while eating a bar of dairy milk. I roamed my sight around and pulled them at the corner, in order for us to hide.

“Shit! Hindi pa tapos ‘yong deleting process,” reklamo ni Cara. Sinimaan ko naman siya ng tingin nang makatago kami sa pinakagilid na bahagi ng kuwarto kung saan hindi kami mahahalata o makikita dahil sa mga nakaharang na mga libro at mga patong-patong na papeles.

Nang bumukas ang pinto ay pare-parehas kaming napalunok dahil sa naiipong kaba sa aming dibdib. Kinulbit ako ni Spencer at tinuro sa ‘kin ang isang vent sa aming gilid, tama lamang ito sa aming katawan ngunit tiyak akong makakagawa kami ng ingay oras na tanggalin namin ang harang do’n.

“Shit! Someone came before us! I can’t cancel the deleting process!” The woman exclaimed.

Cara, on the other hand, tugged my shirt and pointed to the vent which they actually opened that I didn’t notice because I was busy listening to the others.

I nodded to Cara, and let Spencer go first. And when Spencer went deeper to the vent, Cara pushed Spencer’s bag after that she followed. The things they possess are more important, especially that it could help Chi, big time. And when I was about to follow her, I heard footsteps not far away from my direction.

And because my adrenaline automatically rushed, I immediately covered the vent with the steel bars and hid on the other side of the shelves.

“Anong gagawin natin?”

“For now, just look for Dr. Ramirez’s folders, Kelly.” The man commanded. I heaved a sigh and think an idea to escape in their radar because we just stole those files and I will be damned once they see me.

As I’m trying my best just to fit myself into this narrow hiding spot, a loud thud upstairs caught our attention.

Ngunit ang pinagtatakha ko ay tila alam nila ang mga kagamitan dito na para bang memorya nila ang bawat sulok dito katulad ni Cara. At dahil sa kaba ay bigla ko na lamang nasiko ang isang libro patungo sa kabilang bahagi ng shelf dahilan upang maalarte ang dalawang kasama ko ngayon sa silid na ito.

Mabilis naman akong lumipat ng puwesto habang mahigpit ang hawak ko sa aking katana. Hindi ganoon kaliwanag ang paligid kaya’t hindi ko maaninag nang maayos ang mukha nila. Ang tanging nasisigurado ko lamang ay Kelly ang pangalan ng babae.

“Who’s there?” Kelly asked while walking towards my hiding spot earlier. As I gritted my teeth I saw her companion though I can’t see the man clearly because of his hoodie.

“Kelly, the folders are not here!”

“Tangina kasi. It was their experiment and procedures, bakit hindi nila saulo?”

“Tsk! Just contact Dr. Ramirez and tell him about the issue. I will look for the thief—”

“Bobo! Malay mo ba kung nandit—”

“The deleting process just finished, and you heard a sound, right? Tsk. Just fuckin’ go!”

And now, I’m fucking doomed.

Bago umalis ang babaeng nag-ngangalang Kelly ay kanyang tinapik ang balikat ng kanyang kasama saka ito may binulong dito habang tinuturo ang vent.

“Tangina,” rinig kong bulong ng lalaki.

Kagat-labi kong pinapanood ang anino n’ya habang nakatalikod s’ya sa akin. Ang mga mata n’ya ay nakamasid sa vent na tila kinikilatis n’ya ito at nang mapansin kong nagsimula siyang maglakas patungo rito ay mabilis akong tumakbo nang tahimik papunta sa nag-iisang pinto.

“System is now completely deleted. Restarting...”

I paused and looked at the computer that I’ve wished I didn’t did. I frustratingly bit ny lower lip as I run towards the exit with the man following me.

“Hey, stop!” He shouted.

But I didn’t stop and instead, I went to the direction of the stairs while tightly gripping my katana. And I notice that it was already dark outside, meaning that Chi’s bozos blood will be active now.

Fuck!

“Don’t go there!”

“Stop following me!” I shouted. And when I almost trip going upstairs, I saw a distinctive red line on the largest step in the stairs as if it was a boundary.

And as I reach the 14th floor, the voice of the man rang into my ears. I was left stunned in my place, and even though I wanted to move those leering eyes wouldn’t let me.

“Oh, boy. I’m really doomed.”

A swarm of bozos was in front of me, watching me as if I am luxurious food they need to devour.